PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Seat Belts in 62 CJ

62Willys
06-17-2022, 10:13 PM
Hi. I searched, but did not find an answer. I think I am going to mount lap belts in this CJ; just so I don't bounce out of it driving at the farm. Does anyone have pics of where to mount the bolts? I am scratching my head about it. Thanks,

bmorgil
06-18-2022, 08:03 AM
Seat belt mounting points are important for safety. You don't want the belt to cause more harm or not hold in an accident. Here is a link to a site that can help you if you give them a call. https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/c-1389311-accessories-hardware-mounting-brackets.html

62Willys
06-18-2022, 02:55 PM
Thanks! I'll give them a call.

CJ3eh
08-08-2022, 07:25 PM
I've also spent some time thinking about this.

There are so many factors that go into safely restraining a person in an accident and this vehicle is so marginal from a protection perspective (in its stock form) that I basically reduced my objective to one -- what can I do to save my face in the event of a head-on collision that might otherwise be survivable?

I decided that a simple 4 point ATV harness was about the best I was going to do without a roll cage. I've bolted the straps through the tub behind the seat, using the big washers provided. I drilled the holes at the point of a reinforcing rib to help prevent deforming or pull-through. That's about all I can do I think. Side and rear impacts - I'm outta luck. And rollover...? As they say....fuggetaboutit.......

bmorgil
08-08-2022, 08:25 PM
The real thing the belts provide, is "helping" you stay somewhere near the pedals and the wheel. When you are off roading or maneuvering fast, that can be very challenging. As you pointed out, any impacts over 35 mph could be a bad deal no mater how you were bolted in!

CJ3eh
08-08-2022, 08:30 PM
Yes, great point. Being able to stay in place enough to continue to control the vehicle you may be able to prevent a bad situation getting worse. I'm a jeep novice...hence the post count - lol - and I was really surprised how high off the seat a moderate bump launched me first time I hit one. Probably felt worse than it actually was but it did give me a start.

gmwillys
08-08-2022, 08:50 PM
Jeeps had the same mentality as farm tractors had in that vintage. The instructions were, (in some tractor operator manuals like Allis Chalmers) to sit on the high side fender, and be prepared to jump free of the equipment.

I went with three inch racing lap belts in our 2A. My reasoning for the racing belts was that they clip into a large eye bolt. Then I can remove the belts if it sits out side in the sun, or while washing out the tub. I didn't bother with shoulder harnesses because without running a roll over protection system, I don't want to be the tallest stationary object if it were to blow over. Rational thinking, probably not, but that's what I'm going with it. Now what if I get run over by a vehicle bigger than a Beetle, well, let's just hope for the best.

bmorgil
08-09-2022, 06:12 AM
Its always been the same driver training in a Jeep... In case of emergency, keep driving as long as you can, then hope you are thrown free!

CJ3eh
08-09-2022, 08:07 AM
Its always been the same driver training in a Jeep... In case of emergency, keep driving as long as you can, then hope you are thrown free!

LOL - yes - like with aviation. Fly the airplane as far into the crash as you can I believe Bob Hoover used to say...

Ironically, part of the reason I just got the 3a was to transition away from a '52 Ferguson tractor I've been using out at the cabin. Much as I love it, that thing is so incredibly dangerous I'd rather my kid learn to drive the jeep instead. At least this way I can ride along and yell at him when I need to.... ;)

LarrBeard
08-09-2022, 08:29 AM
"Fly the airplane as far into the crash as you can I believe Bob Hoover used to say..."

Old Navy Story:

F-4 jock had gear collapse landing at NAS Oceana. As he slid along the tower asked "Do you need emergency crew". Pilot (or GIB);" I don't know, I ain't done crashing yet".

(Yeah old stoiry...)

bmorgil
08-09-2022, 08:33 AM
I think its a great transaction. The power train in there was built to handle a lot more than the engine ever dreamed it could deliver. Consequently It will last a long time if maintained. Parts are readily available. It will go 40 mph all day long.

I cant see the seat support in yours. They did come with a spring setup. Also, Walk's is reproducing the spring seat. That might help the ride even more. The tallest tires you can fit will aid in the speed and the ride. These things all came with a very deep axle ratio. You can literally keep putting diameter in there till you hit something! The tire will start to hit the frame on turns.

CJ3eh
08-09-2022, 09:06 AM
"Fly the airplane as far into the crash as you can I believe Bob Hoover used to say..."

Old Navy Story:

F-4 jock had gear collapse landing at NAS Oceana. As he slid along the tower asked "Do you need emergency crew". Pilot (or GIB);" I don't know, I ain't done crashing yet".

(Yeah old stoiry...)

ROFL -- ha ha haven't heard that but such a great story!

CJ3eh
08-09-2022, 10:01 AM
I think its a great transaction. The power train in there was built to handle a lot more than the engine ever dreamed it could deliver. Consequently It will last a long time if maintained. Parts are readily available. It will go 40 mph all day long.

I cant see the seat support in yours. They did come with a spring setup. Also, Walk's is reproducing the spring seat. That might help the ride even more. The tallest tires you can fit will aid in the speed and the ride. These things all came with a very deep axle ratio. You can literally keep putting diameter in there till you hit something! The tire will start to hit the frame on turns.

Thanks very much for the info on the spring seats and the drive train durability. My seat does have the springs. Was going to replace it with just foam inside but maybe I'll build the passenger seat first that way and look into Walk's product for the driver side.

As for tires I've got 225 80R16s I think...maybe 70. Nice squishy sidewall but it they do kiss the leaf shackles ever so slightly when locked hard over. Was considering some wheel spacers - so far I just watch how far I crank it.

[edit....oops....don't think you were talking to me....sorry]

bmorgil
08-09-2022, 12:54 PM
Yup talking to you CJ3eb! Keep us posted on the project.

51 CJ3
08-10-2022, 07:50 AM

Old Navy Story:

(Yeah old stoiry...)

I had HUD video of an F16 pilot out practicing dogfighting. The word FUEL was flashing in the center of the HUD. After he gets the kill he calls his buddy and says they need to head back because he is “bingo” fuel and a few seconds later there is a little more urgency in his voice saying he needs to “land now”. If I recall the sequence correctly, he declared an emergency, the engine quits and he successfully dead sticks the landing. As he rolled to a stop the tower asked him if he needed help. Just declaring an emergency should have gotten fire trucks and a tow vehicle to the runway but they may not had time to roll. It’s probably on YouTube.

That was 4 or so computers ago so I don’t know if I still have those videos or not. I need to look. One of those videos showed a Navy person get sucked into a jet intake. I don’t remember what all was in the folder now.

gmwillys
08-10-2022, 09:33 AM
The turning stops, (threaded bolt and jam nut) on the back of the axle tube on both sides needs to be adjusted out to prevent the tires from rubbing the frame/leaf springs. It saves from having to add spacers.

Bob Hoover was one of my heroes growing up. I had the opportunity to get his autograph along with Chuck Yeager's while they were promoting Yeager's first book at Oshkosh. Mr. Hoover then did his flight demonstration with his Shrike Areo Commander, then later on he flew his Ole' Yeller P51 Mustang during the warbird presentation.

LarrBeard
08-10-2022, 09:53 AM
"One of those videos showed a Navy person get sucked into a jet intake."

That was in several of the safety videos that made the rounds in the Navy "back then". The A/C was either an F-8 or A-7 ( I think F-8 with the BIG chin inlet). Somewhere else in my memory bank is that the person involved in the incident actually survived - her never made it into the compressor blades.

An Air Force story: B-52- calls in for clearance. "Robins Tower, Orange Five-One turning final, one engine secured I am not declaring an emergency."

Comment on frequency; "Oh no, the dreaded seven engine approach".

And - no thanks guys - I do not need another Jeep to occupy the car barn - even one as cute as that little Jeepster. But, that would give Becky something to drive .....