PDA

View Full Version : Well i got one!

stevegully
09-19-2022, 02:11 PM
Good evening everyone,

After a long search and during the covid lock down i got me a Jeep!

Imported into the UK and now sitting in my Garage!

1945 Willys MB.

I will have lots and lots of questions i hope you dont mind!

bmorgil
09-19-2022, 03:33 PM
Nice find! Questions are the most fun, and an important part of the restore. Everyone on this forum will help if they can.

LarrBeard
09-19-2022, 04:29 PM
Was it recently imported to the UK - or was it imported in 1945 or so?

It does look like a nice find - and ask away!

gmwillys
09-19-2022, 08:15 PM
Well done Sir. From the looks of it, you found yourself a great starting point.

stevegully
09-22-2022, 02:51 PM
Was it recently imported to the UK - or was it imported in 1945 or so?

It does look like a nice find - and ask away!

Hello All,

It was imported from california by a dealer here, i am the first owner in the UK, i have registered it here with the vermont registeration card and have a UK registration number!

bmorgil
09-22-2022, 03:14 PM
You really have something there Steve! The best vehicles to restore come from the "Sun Belt" here in the USA. A California car is what everyone is looking for. The sun states are the best for old cars.

stevegully
09-23-2022, 02:01 PM
Hello All,

Thabks for the welcome,those photos where taken a while ago now but here are some more!987298739874

I will take some more and post some questions in a correct section as i have some issues getting it started and i would like some advice!

LarrBeard
09-23-2022, 03:17 PM
"I will take some more and post some questions in a correct section as i have some issues getting it started and i would like some advice!"

Post them wherever - we'll find them so don't worry to much about where you put them. well.i got one and stevegully are pretty well your home places now.

".. i would like some advice!" We have all kinds of advice, all of it is free and well worth what you will pay for it!

BMorgil - do you still have the "Start up" paper archived and could you point Steve to it?

bmorgil
09-23-2022, 03:34 PM
It is forever preserved in the Tech Library.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?1820-Start-up-Best-Practices

stevegully
12-17-2022, 06:56 AM
Sorry for the totlay lack of updates!, i have ben busy at work and also on my jeep!

I will post some photos over the next day or so, but in short the engine is now running, the gear box wont select any gears though bit thats out and on the bench ready to be looked at too!

Chassis has all amost been wire brushed and the brake drums are all off ready for new cylinders and brake pipes!

In short i have been busy! and i will post some pictures later!

bmorgil
12-17-2022, 07:24 AM
It sounds like you have made significant progress Steve! Definitely waiting on the pictures. I cant wait to see the fruits of your labor.

gmwillys
12-18-2022, 11:42 PM
Great progress!

As a tip on rust/paint removal, I use these brushes exclusively. The brushes will remove multi-layers of paint, rust, and Bondo. I like using them because they do not throw wires, and leave you with a proper finish for painting after a good wipe down.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-80-grit-nylon-abrasive-wheel-with-14-in-shank-60325.html

stevegully
12-19-2022, 01:00 PM
Hello All,

Pictures as promised below!

I am now thinking that i should perhaps start a new thread, rather then continue this in the "General Disussion" area!1004010041

stevegully
12-19-2022, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the pointers, I an sure i will find the same product over in the the UK.

I have decided to simply wire brush the chassis and axles to remove any loose paint and to tidy up any rust and then just paint with red oxide paint.

bmorgil
12-19-2022, 01:47 PM
Looking good Steve! You are well on your way. You can start a new thread if you like. It is a great way to document your project no matter where you have it.

LarrBeard
12-19-2022, 02:53 PM
"...paint with red oxide paint."

Red Rustoleum fixes everything. It preserved the'48 for the 30+ years it sat in the barn with the pigeons and mousey critters.

stevegully
12-19-2022, 03:16 PM
Looking good Steve! You are well on your way. You can start a new thread if you like. It is a great way to document your project no matter where you have it.

Hello All,

Thanks for the replys, i will start a new thread tomorrow!

51 CJ3
12-19-2022, 03:52 PM
I used to think Rustoleum was great stuff but have lost some of that belief. My pickup started showing rust through the paint on a rear fender. I took the high speed grinder to it to clean it up then sprayed some Rustoleum as a temp fix until I could paint it right. Rust started showing again in about a month. In less than a year I had holes in the fender.

bmorgil
12-19-2022, 04:05 PM
Once rust gets started it is hard to stop. I have used Rustoleum for a long time. It is important to use a rust neutralizing primer if you are going over any existing rust. Sometimes even after sandblasting small amounts of rust can remain. Nothing will keep a rust spot from working its way through eventually. The thing about Rustoleum is it has a fairly soft consistency. It takes the hits from road debris quite well without chipping. It is perfect for frames and areas that will take a beating from road stones.

gmwillys
12-21-2022, 02:14 AM
The Rustoleum epoxy primer works well also.