PDA

View Full Version : Scraping noise... do I need new motor mounts???

rowdyraven
05-07-2023, 07:16 PM
Hey Guys! So I have a 1953 CJ3-A with the original engine and tranny. For several years when I would be going up a grade at low speeds I would get this intermittent scraping sound from the engine bay. Like once every 20-30 seconds, it only last about 2-3 seconds. Now, I'm getting this noise more often and when I'm on level ground. Do I need new motor mounts or is there somewhere else I need to check? When I'm just at idle I don't get this noise. Thoughts???

gmwillys
05-08-2023, 01:11 AM
Welcome rowdyraven,

It is possible that your motor mounts being worn. If so, a quick and easy check is that if you have a fan shroud on the radiator, is there any witness marks from the fan blades coming in contact with the shroud. If there is no signs of contact at the fan shroud, then it's time to dive underneath to inspect the driveline for making contact with any part of the body. If neither of these are the culprit, let us know and we'll come up with some more ideas.

bmorgil
05-08-2023, 06:27 AM
Welcome rowdyraven! Does the noise occur at the same speed and gear every time at the same load? Do you notice any change in power or does the vehicle vibrate? Let us know about the fan shroud check gm advised.

rowdyraven
05-08-2023, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the response guys! I have a fan shroud in place. I checked it and the edges of the fan blades and see no scuff marks. I have not been underneath yet to see what I my find. I'll let you know what I come up with!