PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new bloke here, from the UK

Derrick
07-24-2023, 09:18 AM
I've had my Jeep just over 3 years now
When I bought it, it looked fine
It wasnt until it was delivered I saw what a piece of junk it really was
The engine was cracked, core plugs leaking, wrong fuel tank, none of the gauges worked, the canvas was in sh*t state, The carb had this white stuff in it, that would need changing, the canvas was in a terrible state, same as the seats and cushions
BUT it still ran, rough, but it still ran
My Jeep cost me £13,750
I got a new engine from a Willys generator, it had 120 hours on the clock, but still had Willys on the head
I replaced the fuel tank, along with the carb, seats, cushions, canvas (I got a full winter kit)
I used repo parts, they were better than genuine parts and cheaper, looked the same and did the same job and just needed painting
I had a heater in my Jeep, that came off a Norweigian Jeep
I have now spent over £12, 00 on getting my Jeep up and running
I am thinking of getting disc brakes for the front
Anyone have any thoughts on that ?

bmorgil
07-24-2023, 11:14 AM
Welcome Deririck! It sounds like you put your Jeep back in working order that's for sure. As long as it wasn't rusted beyond repair, you did great with your purchase. You can put just about anything back the way it was on these. If the steel is gone however, you have to replace it or patch it up. Your Jeep sounds like it will be a great time year round.

Front disc brakes on a Jeep, you are going to use and drive around, is a fantastic idea. The original brakes leave a lot to be desired. They are a lot of work in traffic. The front brakes on a Jeep do all the work. The drums are quite sufficient for the backs and when combined with front disc's and a duel master cylinder, they become very effective.

Derrick
07-24-2023, 06:38 PM
bmorgil

Thank you very much for your reply to this thread

My jeep has given me a lot of headaches, trying to find a decent engine, that is in budget (this engine wasnt in budget, but if I wanted a good engine I had to go for it)

It added to the cost of it, plus the extra hours taking it out of the generator and rebuilding it

I gave up trying to find genuine WW2 parts, most were in a terrible state, needed rebuilding, welding

To me it just seemed more sensible to buy repo parts

The fuel tank was the wrong kind, it never had the belly in it, the fuel feed came out of the top, now I think we all know the fuel is fed from the bottom of the tank

None of the gauges were even connected, so connecting them up and finding out which worked and what didnt was another headache

I found it hard work, I never knew there was so many people out there that could offer help or advice

I used youtube for a lot of advice about rebuilding my Jeep

I recently had a new clutch installed and the gear box rebult

Who ever rebuilt it last time (before I bought it) had used grease and oil in there

I found a receipt for it, a complete rebuild cost £1845.68, I think who ever paid that was overcharged for a second rate job

I had a couple of foreign lads work on it (Romanians I think)

They told me they had worked on a lot of Russian vehicles, including a Russian Gaz

I cant fault their work ethic or their price, the job took longer, they said they would stick to the price quoted

I have taken it to a couple of military shows, people ask me what kind of a Jeep it is, all I ca tell them its a Jeep, a 1943 Jeep

There are a few Ford bits on it (head lights) but its my Jeep

The numbers on the hood mean nothing any more, I have put my service number which makes it a bit more
personal to me

I even called her after my wife (Anne) she kept me going with coffee and bacon sandwiches, couldnt have done it without her

56willys
07-24-2023, 07:18 PM
Welcome to the forum!

"I am thinking of getting disc brakes for the front
Anyone have any thoughts on that ?" [quote]
Here's a link to a Youtube video i just found the other day testing drums, front disc, & full discs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ocSpeDr5o&t=84s Like Bmorgil said front brakes do all the work, and are the most important. And yes discs will stop sooner. So far i've been okay with drums. Although i've never had my jeep in trafiic. As of now i have no problem with drums and dont think discs are worth the price for me. But that all could change in the future after more roadtrips and people pulling out in front of me lol.

gmwillys
07-25-2023, 12:26 AM
Welcome Derrick!

As Bmorgil said, it would be a wise decision to upgrade to the disk brakes and a duel master cylinder for safety. Drums and a single pot master have served the Willys well, but a single leak can put you and your investment in peril. The reproduction parts would be your best bet, being that you probably don't have too many Willys lurking around in the salvage yards to source metal from.

We would love to see some photos of your Jeep whenever you get a chance.

Derrick
07-25-2023, 02:28 AM
gmwillys

Thank you for your reply to my thread

The video you refer to is the one that made me think about front discs on my Jeep, but I found out that
shipping these parts to the UK is really expensive, the kit itself doesnt come cheap either

I have uploaded a few pictures, I am not sure if anyone can see them though

They are of the engine and a couple of the finished Jeep

I used to buy lots of parts from the US, but since Brexit the $ has fallen and now parts are expensive

I have yet to see a Jeep in a scrap yard

But I have seen some on eBay that should be in a scrap yard, but even they are asking premium prices

Using the drum brakes on my Jeep does make you learn to read the traffic a lot more

bmorgil
07-25-2023, 06:06 AM
For sure Derrick the drum brakes do make you understand the "assured clear distance" rule! But then mine only goes 50 wide open downhill.

I like the bacon Sandwiches and coffee concept, I think Anne has something there!

Derrick
07-25-2023, 06:19 AM
I have no idea what speed my Jeep is doing, the speedo bounces around like a good 'un, but it is an original

I just have to gauge what other cars are doing

I dont visit the outside lane very often

So far I havent had to 'remodel' any cars in front of me

Did you see any of the pictures I posted ?

bmorgil
07-25-2023, 06:30 AM
Checking out your album now Derrick, nice Jeep man! https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/album.php?albumid=176

You are are too hard on your project. That is a very nice looking Jeep. You are doing an excellent job on it. The repo parts are great for getting it back on the road. Sometimes they need a little modification or, beefing up but they usually get you through. In the end if it all works it is awesome.

The Union Jack on the hood is very cool!

Derrick
07-25-2023, 06:37 AM
Ah, the flag on the hood will be changed soon

I have tried to keep it looking like a WW2 Jeep

Today I watched a video showing some of the difference btween a 41 Jeep and a 43 Jeep

I never knew that about it

Derrick
07-25-2023, 06:44 AM
Ah the flag will be changed soon

Thank you for the compliment about my Jeep, a lot of blood, sweat and tears and coffee have gone into it

Derrick
07-25-2023, 08:32 AM
My Jeep came with an alternator, it went a bit belly up, so had to be replaced

The support bracket had to be replaced, it took the little Indian guy hours to make one

He had worked on Mahindra Jeeps back in India

They pretty makeup and make do, it looked a bit of a mess, big flat bar coming from the side bulk head

Then I read somewhere I could get an alternator that looks like a generator

Same fittings as the original, but damned if I can find it again

gmwillys
07-26-2023, 12:46 AM
I believe I saw the same video about the '41 Willys slat grille and a '43 GPW Ford. Either way, there was pretty good information on there.

The speedometer bouncing is typically a speedometer cable catching within the sheathing. I replaced mine with a good quality one made in the states, (https://quartertonparts.com/product/speedometer-cable-60/)and have had no issues ever since.

To ease some of your parts searches, there are some outfits in France that carries parts for the Willys; https://joesmotorpool.fr/en/content/4-about-us

You have done a great job on your Willys! It is a fine looking specimen.

Derrick
07-26-2023, 02:55 AM
gmwillys

Thanks for your reply to my thread

The gear box has been rebuilt, the clutch replaced

The parts came from Joes Motor pool here in the UK (good service parts arrived the next day)

There is a new inner and outer speedo cable installed, but still no difference (mine was a US made one as well)

I cant see me getting any speeding tickets though

I might look for a slat front for my Jeep, but it wont be a priority

I'd much rather try and find this alternator that looks like a generator, dynamo

Thanks for the compliment on my Jeep

gmwillys
07-27-2023, 12:24 AM
I like the slat grill idea. I went through a couple of speedometer cables until I bought the one from 1/4 ton and military.

Derrick
07-27-2023, 05:51 PM
gmwillys

I wont be making it it priority though.

if I see one on eBay or at any of the shows I go to and its a decent price, i might buy it

If have tried 2 cables now, inner and outer, both give me the same resulys, a bouncy sppeedo

I'm not spending any more on them

I'm off to France in August, looking forward to that, it was a great 5 days last year (and it was quite cheap)

I just make sure I have 3 Jerry cans filled up, that and a tank of juice will get me there and back

bmorgil
07-27-2023, 06:06 PM
If the speedo cables didn't change anything, it sounds like the Speedometer Head is going. There is a guy here in the states that rebuilds them.

https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/

He ships worldwide. I am sure it wouldn't be cheap.

Derrick
07-27-2023, 06:33 PM
bmorgil

Nothing being sent or bought from the US is cheap any more

From what I can gather this spedo is an original, so very reluctant to replace it

This is because of Brexit, the $ has never got back to where it was before we left Europe

Its the reason I cant carry on my road trips over there

Derrick
07-27-2023, 06:36 PM
gmwillys

I have seen a slat grill on eBay, its an auction, so watching it and see what the bidding goes up to

What do you think a fair price is ?

gmwillys
07-28-2023, 12:15 AM
That's a good question Derrick. I wasn't sure myself, but I did some searches, and MD Juan makes a reproduction slat grill for around $340. U.S;

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/products/new-steel-radiator-slat-grille-fits-41-42-mb/

But, if you can find an original, then it would be hard to predict a price at auction. I would be willing to pay up for an original over a reproduction, but that is my preference. On a driver, on the other hand, a reproduction would probably make more sense.

Derrick
07-28-2023, 02:00 AM
gmwillys

Well this one on eBay lo0ks like the real deal, but with repo being so good these days, its hard to know

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126025425591

bmorgil
07-28-2023, 06:17 AM
The grill is the signature Jeep part. If you can get an original, it will be heavier and the way they were stamped was such that a discerning eye will be able to tell an original. On the original ones I have seen, the curvatures of the stamping are much more subtle. The steel is usually much heavier. I would always endeavor for an original grill. However if you cant get one the repro's are getting pretty good.

Derrick
07-28-2023, 06:39 AM
I have even found a Jeep on eBay that has a slat grill
But he wants a top price it
I dont think he will sell it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145211705373

gmwillys
07-28-2023, 11:03 PM
Top price is correct. Maybe if Patton or Field Marshall Monty once rode in it, then maybe. I studied that Jeep for a bit, and I'm pretty certain that the frame is original, but the tub and fenders are reproduction. It's just too nice underneath. The frame and drive train has some dings and signs of wear, but not bad for being 81 years old.

Derrick
07-29-2023, 01:17 AM
gmwillys

You know more about Jeeps than I do, so I bow to your superior knowledge

I wouldnt have known any of that

I am begining to wonder what you would think of my Jeep

bmorgil
07-29-2023, 06:07 AM
I will speak for gm, and tell you on this forum we love all the jeep projects! They definitely don't have to be perfectly correct to have one heck of a lot of fun with them. There are so many repro parts available for that very reason. They are fun to restore, hot rod, pretty up, lift, modify, just get it running and so much more. When they look like a Jeep and they go and stop or, you are trying to get them to go and stop, their a Jeep welcome on this forum.

Derrick
07-29-2023, 07:36 AM
bmorgil well I am off to a Military show next weekend

I know everyone will be looking at the Jeeps on display, taking pictures, comparing them

There are always lots of Jeeps at these shows (along with Land Rovers, Tanks, trucks, British, American, German, even Russian T34 tanks

I expect usual comments about my Jeep, I expect kids asking me if they can sit in it while their parents take photos

I dont get dressed up for these events, but there are plenty that do

I am not going to fit that slat grill (yes I did buy it) until I get back

My next search is for an alternator that loks like a generator

I have found one company (not far from me) that might be able to sort me out

It will take a trip to them so they can see my Jeep

https://www.accuspark.co.uk/

As I have said before I am trying to get my Jeep to look as good as possible

LarrBeard
07-29-2023, 10:57 AM
"Nothing being sent or bought from the US is cheap any more

From what I can gather this spedo is an original, so very reluctant to replace it"

If you should decide to use Bob's Speedometer, the unit you send him will be rebuilt. It will be your original unit unless you authorize him to do a swap with another original unit. He did the instrument cluster work on the '48 truck - it did take several tries because there was a subtle issue - but he took care of it very promptly without any additional charges or quibbling over whose fault it might have been.

Your project is great work in progress. At Military shows, let the kids sit in the Jeep, let them "drive" and blow the horn. At car shows over here in the colonies, people will put a sign on their showy cars; "Don't touch me - I'm not that kind of car".

I have put a sign on the truck; "Go ahead, ask to sit in me - I like the attention." Jeeps are meant to be enjoyed.

Derrick
07-29-2023, 06:58 PM
LarrBeard

Thanks for your reply, I did look at this company, but its in the US and sending anything over there is ridiculously expensive and returning it isnt going to be any cheaper

I'll stick with it for a while, it doesnt eat any thing and it works, kind of

I like seeing kids in my Jeep, Dads taking pictures (its not just boys, girls like climbing in there as well) answering questions about it, on the topic of the horn, I changed mine to a decent horn, the one that was in there was a nasty copy and it was very harsh, this one is a lot sweeter

I made up some flyers to put on the hood of my Jeep, so when it was open, people could see the work and progress I made of bringing it up to this condition (this was another suggestion by my wife)

This has caught on now, I'm seeing more of them

I dont think people had seen and engine in such poor condition and still running

bmorgil
07-30-2023, 06:18 AM
Flyers and plaques are almost required at the car events here. LarrBeard has a real nice setup. I agree with your Wife, excellent suggestion. Few realize what it takes to bring them back or, simply keep it running.

Derrick
07-30-2023, 07:01 AM
Some might have a description of their vehicle, telling you what it is, who it served with, how old it is, some will display a corps or regimental flag

I have seen tanks with a 'Do not Climb' poster on it, but that might be for Health and Safety reason (lets face it you arent going to bend it)

Jeeps seem to be in their own groups, Land Rovers in theirs, trucks in their groups, armour where ever they can fit it

Most people that own a military vehicle have a military tent, if not you have to use the public camping areas

Re enctors have their tents, treches, cooking fires all set up in the 'Living History' areas

They can range from Norman times, Viking times, The Zulu wars,

There is even a village depicting the war years, which is pretty authentic

Then everyone's favourite, The good old NAAFI wagon, bread pud, cheapest tea and coffee at every show, served in a tin mug

gmwillys
07-31-2023, 02:26 AM
Derrick,

As Bmorgil was saying, we as a group love to see any and all Jeeps being restored or used rather than rotting away in some field. I think your project is of great historical value regardless if you use reproduction parts or original. Jeeps had an expected life expectancy for MB/GPW of six months of being on the battlefield. The tubs are stiffened by white oak blocks within the hat channels welded to the floor, so salt and moisture was absorbed within the wood and rotted the floors out. This practice was continued throughout the Willys civilian production. Long story short, a perfectly preserved, original Jeep is mainly something of legend more than fact. It doesn't matter if you use original steel or reproduction, what does matter is that you are out there sharing the history with the younger generations. Keep up the good work Sir.

Derrick
07-31-2023, 06:33 PM
gmwillys

I was at a military show in Australia, they had a few Jeeps, that had been imported over there, trucks and tanks

Parts are really expensive over there so they have to use repo parts, they are very high quality though

But I was talking to an Aussie owner and he said that 'The Willys Jeep is part of history, both in Europe and Australia, the US and we have a duty to preserve these Jeeps in honour of those that used them, made them and died in them, every Military vehicle owner should remember that'

I have never forgot him or what he said, I had never thought of it in that way before

gmwillys
07-31-2023, 10:49 PM
Definitely advice to live by. We are merely caretakers of our forefather's history. Hopefully when we pass our vehicles down to the next generation, they hold them as dear as we do.

Derrick
08-01-2023, 04:32 AM
I have no idea what will happen to my Jeep when I peg it

My kids aren't interested in it, if they are, it will be just for its monetary value

I am hoping my wife will find someone that knows my history of rebuilding it, the cost of rebuilding it, the care that has gone into it, trying to keep it as original as possible

The history of this Jeep has had to be started with me, I cant find out any previous owners (apart from the original owner in Texas and he has passed on, I think)

I have his address and looked on google maps

It looks like scrap yard now

This is all I have on the import documents

Vehicle ID number 23895

Jaramillo Mike
2210 Broadway
Albuquerque
New Mexico

bmorgil
08-01-2023, 06:16 AM
Its all yours Derrick and the history begins with you. Anything you find out will add to its story. These kind of projects are very personal. As long as you are enjoying it, it is perfect!

LarrBeard
08-01-2023, 08:01 AM
We have met this lady several times with her WWII Jeep. Her re-enactment is a family affair; her daughter and grand-daughter are "French orphans" she has picked up along the way and her husband is her "bodyguard"; a crusty GI who, in his persona, wants to be done with this chicken assignment and get to Germany because he has chocolate bars and silk stockings in his gas mask carrier.

https://blog.kaiserwillys.com/speedy-a-1942-gpw-restoration-and-piece-of-wwii-living-history

I have the same issue with my Jeep Truck - my kids would have no idea what to do with it. I have decided to pass it along to a museum where it will be part of their exhibit.

gmwillys
08-02-2023, 12:46 AM
Derrick,

The address supplied with your import documents would be to what I would expect to find a Jeep hidden in the back shed. Our '46 came from a place much like that, except it was sitting in the front yard next to a Chevrolet closed cab deuce and a half.

The young lady that LarrBeard showcased above was a sight to see. She and her crew did a fantastic job of presenting a living history display.

Derrick
08-02-2023, 06:50 PM
That lady that renovated the Jeep was a girl after my own heart

I was never really interested in history or Jeeps

I just suddenly had a midlife crises (can you get them at 70?)

I just wanted a Jeep, I dont know why, I had just finished 10 years of travelling the world, I had lived in a tent, washed in rivers and streams, ate food you would give a dog and all in a big yellow truck for most of that time, with people I had never met or knew, I met people from all over the world, I visited countries some people only dream of visiting (145 in all) I dont regret any of it

I died twice of cerebral malaria, I spent a month in IC, I couldnt remember my name, recognise my kids or wife, I spent my time trying to dig my way out of hospital (I was on the second floor)

I wandered the ward in my underware, the nurses were very understanding

According to my passport, I have never left Ghana

Then this crises hit me

I looked everywhere for a Jeep once I was out of hospital, I found one 150 miles away, I bought it and that is where the story began

I still knew nothing about Jeeps when it arrived (on a trailer)

3 years on I am still learning about Jeeps

I am off to another show at the weekend, its going to be a wet one, from start to finish

I have just got my updates for D-Day next year, that will be the biggest event I have ever gone to

gmwillys
08-03-2023, 12:50 AM
Derrick,

We are sure glad to have you doing well now and have found something that you have both fallen in love with and found a passion to learn more about. Normandy has to be far and away the most hallowed grounds in the course of history, especially with so few who served still around to tell the tale. You'll be keeping the history front and center for years to come, since 70 isn't all that old anymore.

TJones
08-03-2023, 05:40 AM
I’m not real sure Derrick but you have it in a real way!!!
And what I’m talking about is the “Passion” WOW
To read your story, the search, find and restore!
I’ve never seen it in anyone especially after all you’ve through:)
Keep it rolling Buddy, and mid-life crisis does come at 70 :):)
I’ve seen it in several of my older friends, be Thankful of your health to chase it!!

Derrick
08-03-2023, 09:42 AM
I wouldnt say I have a 'passion' for a Jeep

I like it, its cheap to run, (cheap insurance, no MOT and no road tax to pay) I can drive in to London and dont have to worry about any congestion charge or the ULEZ

Sort of easy to maintain, it's a rugged wagon

Its my daily drive

It will cope with all weathers (but mine is undercover in the winter)

I can fill up the tank, keep a Jerry can in my bustle and I can go anywhere

I may not break any speed limits

But when I go out driving it I always worry it will break down

(I think all Jeep owners worry about that)

LarrBeard
08-03-2023, 09:56 AM
"But when I go out driving it I always worry it will break down"

But, the good news is that it is small and easy to push if you need to!

bmorgil
08-03-2023, 04:12 PM
Derrick, the very principal of the Jeep idea was rugged and reliable. If you keep it in good mechanical shape, it wont break down. They are very simple machines for that very reason. The drive train is overkill by far. The motor is an industrial flat head. As long as you take care of the simple things as they occur it wont leave you stranded. A good tune up, fluids and keep an eye on the usual things like water pump and fuel pump that have a tendency to wear out. Some preventative maintenance is in order for trouble free operation.

Derrick
08-05-2023, 01:13 AM
After I take the cover off, I go round, count the tyres, give am a kick, lift the hood/bonnet, check water, oil

Look underneath for leaks

Then jump in and start it up, watch the ammeter, see how much its charging the battery
look underneath to check the drip tray, no oil leaks

Kick the tyres once more

Let it warm up and thats it all done

Off we go

bmorgil
08-05-2023, 04:05 PM
Process complete Derrick! I would recommend one last step. Once it comes up to temperature and with the engine running, check the front water pump bypass hole for dripping water.

One these old water pumps, under the pump snout behind the pulley there is a small hole. It is in front of the water pumps seal. As the water pump bearings and seal wears, the seal will start to drip coolant. As soon as you see that drip its time for a water pump. If it ever fails the fuel pump, it ill run fine with a siphon feed from a gas can.

It wont leave you, its a good soldier.

Derrick
08-05-2023, 05:34 PM
A new water pump went in when the new engine went in

bmorgil
08-05-2023, 05:41 PM
Better not see a drip when you look then Derrick!