PDA

View Full Version : Greetings everyone. First jeep ever!

SourdoughTJ
04-17-2024, 01:09 PM
I recently bought a 1965 M-38A1 that I plan on using for camping and such. It’s in good condition though it needs parts which I’m acquiring at KaiserWillys. I recently received their catalog and remembered why the Sears and Monkey Wards Christmas Catalogs were ogled and drooled over before shopping. It’s been a long time in the making for obtaining a jeep.

bmorgil
04-17-2024, 05:28 PM
Welcome SDTJ! The KW catalog is required in every bathroom! I remember those catalogs well. Very dog eared by the time Christmas arrived.

gmwillys
04-18-2024, 08:29 AM
Welcome Sourdough TJ. I have a soft spot in my heart for M38A1s, so feel free to ask any questions you have. The Sears and Monkey Wards catalog plus the JC Whitney catalog were great wish books!

SourdoughTJ
04-19-2024, 07:40 PM
Thanks, for now it’s let the sleuthing begin here and in the manuals to rid myself of cobwebs. The M-38A1 is growing on me being a Vietnam-era Army veteran. To me the era of 1965-1980 is the best in beauty and being able to repair. My stepfather introduced me to auto mechanics but I wished I had paid closer attention and plied him with more questions and the manuals. We had a 1966 Rambler 770 Classic station wagon when he started introducing auto mechanics to me. He was an aircraft mechanic in the USAF.
Today’s cars to me: Eh! I’ll pass.

gmwillys
04-20-2024, 12:35 AM
Thank you for your service Sourdough. Modern cars leave a lot to be desired for ease of maintenance. I just came in from replacing an axle on my oldest daughter's Honda. It wasn't a horrible job, but I'd much rather work on one of our Heeps.

bmorgil
04-20-2024, 06:22 AM
First as gm said, thank you very much for your service!

Love the sleuthing part. I think you will be surprised at how much you can do to a vintage Jeep. I cant think of any parts you cant find somewhere.

You cant be around an aircraft mechanic without those skills wearing off.

gmwillys
04-21-2024, 12:04 AM
A hidden gem that has a lot of NOS M38A1 parts is; 1/4ton and Military.com
Kaiser Willys also carries a lot of good parts.
Another military forum that is pretty useful;
G503.com

SourdoughTJ
04-21-2024, 08:27 AM
Thank you, I’ll bookmark them.

56willys
04-22-2024, 08:21 AM
Welcome, and thank you sir, for your service.
Love the M38a1s, that will make a great rig for doing some backwoods camping. Looking forward to seeing more of this project!

LarrBeard
04-22-2024, 03:56 PM
One of the longest running KWAS Forum sagas was following the resurrection of an M38A1 by a Viet Nam Marine corps veteran.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/showthread.php?1421-well-the-darn-thing-is-out

If you check the site, there are over 5-million hits for the thread - it is a story about a person as well as a vehicle. Ira had just about every Jeep issue that could come up - but he persevered and he finished "Magoo" before COVID came.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or seek opinions. We'll do out best to answer questions- and our opinions are worth every penny you will pay for them!

Welcome - send us pictures - we don't read words too well but we understand pictures pretty good.

SourdoughTJ
05-06-2024, 08:14 PM
I’ve got three projects to start with: wiring the back license plate for the light, installing and wiring the wiper motors, tracking down a leakage from the transfer case (hopefully only the fill plug and seal).
Who is a good reputable source for electrical diagnostic equipment in case I need to replace what I have. Timing light, ammeter, etc.

gmwillys
05-07-2024, 12:02 AM
A couple of questions in regard to how your M38A1 is configured? Is the electrical system still 24 volt? Are you running the waterproof plugs and wires? The waterproof wires require an adapter to go in between the plug and wires for a timing light. You can pull the waterproof plug wire and spark plug and replace it with a conventional plug and wire so you can use an induction pick up clamp of a traditional timing light. A conventional timing light can be used, but ensure that you only hook the power lead to the 12 volt lead of the battery set. This will work with the ignition timing, but if you wish to check your dwell, then you'll need the engine ignition timing set.

https://shop.midwestmilitary.com/product/timing-light-adapter/

https://secoparts.net/products/adapter-set-engine-4910-00-348-7600-making-24-volt-waterproof-electrical-7541281

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8845&highlight=

bmorgil
05-07-2024, 06:12 AM
There are a few good sources for Automotive testing equipment. In the end it is the brand name and place of manufacture you are looking for. You can shop prices at a lot of places. I am very fond of Fluke when it comes to Multi-Meters. I always try to buy USA or Japanese testing equipment. You will need a Multi-Meter. It does not have to be a Fluke or an expensive meter. Your electrical work will be basic. You will not need precision accuracy. An inexpensive Multi-Meter will definitely do the job. For the timing, it is best done by setting the Timing when the points open and referencing the Flywheel markings, no timing light is required. If you want to use a light, follow gm's suggestions. You can use your Multi-Meter to detect the instant the points open. The dwell is directly affected by the point gap. This is best set with a good feeler gauge. A dwell meter can be used to see if the points are operating correctly, but it is not absolutely needed.

Here is an Automotive Equipment source:

https://www.esitest.com/

SourdoughTJ
05-07-2024, 08:23 AM
It runs a 12 volt system. At some point I’d like to do the waterproof system if practical. Thank you for the input fellas.

gmwillys
05-08-2024, 12:33 AM
12 volts make life a lot less troublesome. Most of the reason for folks to convert from 24 to 12 is mainly the costs involved with replacement parts.