PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mounts

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
11-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Need help finding engine mounts. Got a 48 PU with a Chevy 250 CID straight 6. When I got the truck the motor mounts were made out of some old leaf springs bent in a u shape with rubber pads. A little bit farm rigged. The springs wound up cracking all 4 brackets they were attached to. so I need to find some engine mounts that work. No luck so far and I have never fabbed engine mounts before so this could get interesting. Any advice, help, guidance on how to do this or suitable mount replacement would be GREATLY appreciated.

Jcmjr1959
11-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Motor mounts made from leaf springs.....wow....I have this same disorder and really need to be careful or my Jeepster is going to be a mess....all jokes aside I saw a episode of 2 guys In a garage about welding a modified bracket from 1/4" plate Steel and fitted to the existing mounts....this was on a pickup but interesting on how you can make most everything work ....good luck

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
11-16-2012, 09:42 AM
I hear you and that's the most likely route I'm going to take. Just worried about things like axle/transfer case alignment. It will take some time but very important it gets done correctly. Studying it now.

Jcmjr1959
11-22-2012, 09:46 PM
While I was under my Jeepster today I noticed that the drive shaft was not parallel with the frame so the alignment may not have to be perfect , the universal joints make up the difference .....I really don't know , I think that it should line up though..

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
11-22-2012, 11:53 PM
There are plenty of drive shafts that have some crazy angles into the axels. Those universals are made for that kind of stress. Just cant handle the extra burden or cost right now. Holidays around the corner so most of the "extra" money is going to that. Trying to keep costs down.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
11-23-2012, 07:37 PM
216215217218219So here are the original "engine mounts" I just got them off the engine today. I didn't realize how bad they really are. Not sure if you can see in the photos but one mount's holes are completely broken. I honestly dont know what was holding it in. Probably just the other mount. The other mount looks like some kind of modern art masterpiece. It broke the original frame mount and a previous owner butt welded the bracket back together. The vibration pad looks like it was welded to the jury rigged leaf spring while the rubber was still in it. Its all melted and pretty much useless. On the underside of the bracket there are about 7 serious cracks all over the place. Glad I decided to rebuild this thing before I drove it too much. Still trying to figure out how to build these mounts.

Jcmjr1959
11-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Those pictures tell some story, " just make one more haul and I will trade this truck in " patch patch alone the way....we really will never know....
Make sure the Christmas holidays are good then you will be blessed again to start spending money on the truck but we both know the best way to save money is to not spend it ....

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
11-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Too late money spent. I actually found an old JP magazine that had an article putting this exact drivetrain in a jeep ratrod. Hated the car but good idea for some ghetto mounts. Mine will look much better. Anyway the name of the article was sloppy seconds which I found humorous and may wind up naming this truck.

Jcmjr1959
11-30-2012, 07:01 PM
You need to have a sign made with " Sloppy Seconds " hang it on the grille at every Truck Show you enter.....

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
12-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Yeah may have to print all the before pics as well so people know what I'm talking about lol.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
01-04-2013, 11:34 AM
254255256257258So update on the engine mounts. I ordered a "unversal" engine mount kit. It looks like it was universal for a V8. I probably screwed up the ordering. No matter I decided to modify these. Because I have a straight 6 the block mounts are straight therefore I needed 90 degree mounts instead of the slanted mounts that came in the kit. I chopped off the brackets and and had to fill in the holes on the plate because the spacing was off as well. After that I went down to the local steel shop. They took me in the back to let me look around to see what might work. I found some 1/4" 2x4 box steel since they didnt have any channel type metal. I got approximately 20". They wound up using a plasma cutter to cut the ends which were pretty knarly. I put a metal cutting wheel on my shop smith and cut the box steel length wise down the middle to make two separate brackets. I used a chop saw with a metal cutting wheel to clean up one end on each of the brackets. Even with the chop saw the cut wasnt as square as I wanted. I jury rigged my ShopSmith so I could get a 90 degree angle from the sanding disk. Slow and steady got the angle I was looking for. Butt welded the channel to the plate from the purchased brackets and loosely mounted to the engine. That is where I'm at now. I have to finish up the other side then I will line up the plates for the frame and weld into place. Once I get it all done I will powder coat them flat black. I think they will last forever.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
01-04-2013, 11:42 AM
More photos from the post above. 261 263

Jcmjr1959
01-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Looks like you have your project moving again, you said working with metal is what you like. So enjoy, I wish I had your patience on my project , but it seems I don't , maybe because I still have so many projects going and the everyday bad luck seems to keep me from having the time or extra dollars .....
Keep on moving summer will be here before you know it, then ride in the truck....all the hard work will be well worth it...

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
01-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Yeah Jesse, been working hard over the past week. Engine in, engine out, engine in, engine out. Finished the brackets finally. They came out nice. I like the side by side photo with the old "mount". They are installed now. I have to finish up the cross member and replace the tranny mounts. I filled up some swiss cheese on the back of the frame. It was a really busy week and I was really happy to finish something. It keeps me motivated. I don't think it will be done by summer. Too much to do with school and work. We will see. Ease up on the projects and fix that death wobble. Keep the Frau happy.264265266267268

Jcmjr1959
01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Very nice work! Well you may not be done by summer but when you are complete the patience and your time you put in will pay off...looks like axels are installed so progress is taken shape....

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
01-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks Jesse. I guess the next project on the list is the tranny mounts and crossmember.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
01-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Here is a link (http://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys.com/album.php?albumid=17) to the photo album for this little project. I kind of screwed up the order of the photos. They are from end product to beginning stage. The album page doesn't allow you to sort the order.

Jcmjr1959
01-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Photos are great , I know you must feel a little overwhelmed at times, big restore you have going.....I know I was just reviving my jeepster and I get a little overwhelmed but then I drive it and smile ( my satisfaction ) ....o well I do wish you great luck .....