PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Northern Virginia

virginiiamountainman76
11-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Hello ta all fellow Willy's enthusiasts. I just recently pulled my 52 Willy's pickup from a shed in the woods where it was stored for the last 20 years or better, I am new to Willy's trucks and hope to learn as much as possible from everyone. I just recently sold my 77 Chevy Scottsdale and 85 CJ-7 to fund the Willy's restoration project. I will add pictures to my profile soon, I am planning to use the Willy's as my hunting/every day driver rig. Pretty much my do all, go everywhere truck. So any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Can anyone tell me how to upload a profile picture? i think i must have missed something somewhere, thanks.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
11-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Hello virginiiamountainman76. Welcome to the forum. I have a 48 pickup and I am generally doing the same thing. Want it to be a daily driver with a bit of show car quality but definitely wont be a show car. Sorry cant help you with the profile pic as I haven't done it myself at least I don't think I have. Post your questions and I am sure you will get a response. Again welcome.

virginiiamountainman76
11-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Thank you 1948 Cal Willys Pickup, I want her as a daily driver/ do all in that cool old willys style. i hope to keep as much original as possible, I have done the V-8 swap in a 85 Cj-7 i had (swapped in a dodge 360 and 727) but don't want to go that route with this one. I have thought about maybe a 4.0 inline 6 swap but am still up in the air about it. i want something reliable and not complicated and definitely not fuel injected, i want to keep it simple no on-board electronics, GPS, I am more of a map reading type of guy that still believes in carburetors, road atlases and C.B. radios to get me where i need to go. But i want to be able to haul wood with her as well as drive myself to work everyday.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
11-18-2012, 10:36 AM
The straight 6 will give you the torque. Be aware though that it may not fit quite right. I had a straight 6 in mine when I purchased it. The body was cut up as well as the front cross member due to clearance issues. I can tell you though that it would rumble through and pull just about anything. Wouldn't win any races but no worries when it came to hauling. Good luck with your rebuild.

virginiiamountainman76
11-18-2012, 10:51 AM
The straight 6 will give you the torque. Be aware though that it may not fit quite right. I had a straight 6 in mine when I purchased it. The body was cut up as well as the front cross member due to clearance issues. I can tell you though that it would rumble through and pull just about anything. Wouldn't win any races but no worries when it came to hauling. Good luck with your rebuild.

Would you recommend a small block v-8 swap? If so then what type? I dont want to cut the body up or the front cross member. Is there an easier swap fro these trucks? thanks :confused:

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
11-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Most of the engine swaps are straight forward. Always the first thing you need to look at is will it fit. Not just the block but the accessories as well including pulleys, carb and filter assembly, exhaust, steering column etc. The best bet is to get the dimensions of what you think you want and start measuring. After I posted above this morning I changed my mind. I was going to go with a 350 short block because they are so easy as far as parts and maintenance. It will definitely have the power as well. Other things to consider are your tranny, transfer box if its 4x4 and driveshafts that may have to be lengthened, shortened, and balanced. Also where the engine mounts are located and if they will need to be moved? Plumbing, electrical, airflow to the radiator, is the radiator big enough to cool the engine which may be in a smaller space. Will the tranny you have mate with the engine you want and will it be able to handle the horsepower? Do you have the tools and time? For all these reasons I chose to stay with what I had since all the mods were already done. I am sure I didnt make anything easier but hopefully you may be thinking about something you didnt before. Also try talking with people who have already done some transplants. They should be able to provide some good insight. I havent done one yet so I cant help with all the details. Good luck and let me know what you go with. I am highly curious.