PDA

View Full Version : Best way to transport a Jeep?

Nemo von Klepper
01-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Hi, I'm looking for an economical way to transport my jeep from Colorado to Oregon. Any recommendations? Also, I'm open to "ride sharing". If someone needs a jeep taken to the Four Corners region from the West Coast, we might be able to work something out.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
01-25-2013, 09:54 AM
The best way would be to drive it if its a runner. If not you could always rent a trailer but you are traveling through some mountains. I got mine from the foothills of the Sierra Nevada's and the brakes on my minivan (no jokes please) were screaming by the time I got down. Best if you have a vehicle made for that. Also got the snow to deal with. If I was towing I would wait until spring. You could have it shipped. I had a car shipped from Germany to US east coast for $700. I guess it all depends on how much time and money you have.

Nemo von Klepper
01-25-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm not having luck posting today

Nemo von Klepper
01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
http://blog.kaiserwillys.com/wp-content/gallery/andreas-mantzke/993666-r1-11-11.jpg
Well, I really can't beat $700 when you think of round trip behind a Ford F250 or even fly out, drive it back.
It runs, but I just had an engine swap and I'd rather a shorter shake down cruise.

Sad story; I bought it from some old guy that was dying of cancer. He'd bought it with a recently rebuilt engine. Anyway, I was on my way to DMV when the rebuilt engine packed up. I figure there may have been a blockage in the oil line. There wasn't anything to do. I was moving, so I left it off with a Willy's enthusiast to try to find a motor for me. It should be ready by May.

The pic above was taken a week before we drove down to the DMV. Trips to the hay field were our shake-down cruises. My wife pictured here.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
01-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Well you've got some time. Shop around for a good reputable shipper. I remember from the few cars I have purchased brand new that destination shipping was $600. You could probably find a private shipper for even less. Did you get any word on what kind of motor your friend is looking at? Just curious.

Did an internet search and found this site (http://shippinganautomobile.com/?kw=vehicle%20shipper). You could give it a try.

Jcmjr1959
01-26-2013, 08:09 PM
We have a member that lives in Colorado and has a willys ,he has owned it for 38 years to be exact , maybe move there and ride in the mountains with that guy, he knows the area.....I would if I liked the cold, lol

Jcmjr1959
01-26-2013, 08:13 PM
O by the way I love your jeep, the guy you bought it from wants you to enjoy it I am sure he did....

Nemo von Klepper
01-28-2013, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the input on shippers. As much fun as it could be to drive the Oregon Trail, I think shipping is best for now, at least until I done a few shake down cruises.

I'm still a bit of a green horn when it comes to Jeeps. My Willys guy is putting an F Head, but whether it's a 473 or a 475, I don't know. He's reputable, so I suppose he knows what he's doing.

Thanks for the comment on its looks. Judging by other's threads, I may have lucked out on the body. I can't remember much rust other than the tool box and some of the floor braces. The hood has taken a fair beating and will want to be replaced eventually. There's a dent in the right rear quarter panel where the spare might have been pushed into the body. Everything else looked sound. Oh, it'll need new wiring.

Colourwise I'm thinking of "clear maple" body with "Shanee Red" wheels, or "Pasture Green" with "Autumn Yellow". I know these weren't offered for that build year, but I like 'em.

Jcmjr1959
01-29-2013, 08:09 PM
It will look nice with any color combinations but my favorite is the one in the photo...good luck with your project...

Nemo von Klepper
01-30-2013, 12:26 AM
Funny, the colour partially grew on me. There were some sporty plastic rear view mirrors the old guy had in a box with the jeep. To take it to the DMV I put those mirror on the side of the windscreen. It also had a bench seat from a Buick. When I left it off with my Willys guy, his wife commented that it was the ugliest jeep she had ever seen. I also like the CJ2s better than the CJ3Bs, -I think it's the lower hood profile and the splint windscreen.

We were going to paint her red and call her "Rosie the Riviter", but after the rebuilt engine packed in, I called it "The Antichrist" after the Land Rover 2 in "The Gods Must Be Crazy".

It's getting a coat of gray primer now, so I might just paint "Nelly Belle" temporarlily on the side, taking advantage of the colour.

Ultimately I may call it "La Tortuga" after the jeep my childhood heroes Helen and Frank Schneider drove all the way to Tierra del Fuego from California in the '50s. It was a rebuilt amphibius jeep and painted white, but oh well... I just want to pay tribute to their achievement.

Jcmjr1959
01-30-2013, 08:42 PM
You sound like a man on a mission with a plan at hand...but I know sometimes us guys change our minds without notice....lol