PDA

View Full Version : Spare Tire

Nemo von Klepper
01-25-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm new here.

Aside from a mountain of other things to consider, I'm trying to decide where to put my spare tire on my 3B. I tend to lean toward classic, but I've never been fond of the classic CJ location on the passenger rear fender. The logical place is behind the tailgate, but I want to use my tailgate.
So though I want to keep my Willys a CJ, I'd like to militerize it as far as the spare and a gas can. If I put on a tire carrier, I'd like one that doesn't screem "modification".

I've been thinking of buying the tailgate hinges off of a modern wrangler and welding a tire carrier from an MB38 to a plate attached to the hinges to create a swing arm tire carrier.

Any thoughts?

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
01-26-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm new here.

Aside from a mountain of other things to consider, I'm trying to decide where to put my spare tire on my 3B. I tend to lean toward classic, but I've never been fond of the classic CJ location on the passenger rear fender. The logical place is behind the tailgate, but I want to use my tailgate.
So though I want to keep my Willys a CJ, I'd like to militerize it as far as the spare and a gas can. If I put on a tire carrier, I'd like one that doesn't screem "modification".

I've been thinking of buying the tailgate hinges off of a modern wrangler and welding a tire carrier from an MB38 to a plate attached to the hinges to create a swing arm tire carrier.

Any thoughts?

Make sure you look at what the hinges are connected to. That will ba a lot of weight on just sheet metal if there is no pillar that you can mount to. Other ideas, not that I am in favor of any particular one, is a hidden hitch with spare tire carrier (allows you to swivel or pivot spare) or maybe make a well where the back seat is. I am not sure but you may even be able to put it on the nose just be sure you allow enough air flow to your radiator.

Nemo von Klepper
01-28-2013, 01:00 AM
Thanks! Those are some ideas I'll think on.

I think the M38s had operable tailgates. I suppose I need to see one up close to see how they have everything configured.

Jcmjr1959
01-29-2013, 08:14 PM
I know spare tires are needed and for some of the willys they look good with a nice spare mounted on the back , but I will do away with the spare and become a member of AAA ....they have helped me so many times....lol

Nemo von Klepper
01-30-2013, 12:03 AM
I'm already a member of AAA. It's a must have if you're addicted to vintage or unusual cars. I have premium, so they'll even tow up to 200 miles, once a year. My wife likes Toyota, so we have Toyota care on hers, but I'd rather have a car that has character. Half the time I can't tell a Toyota from a Honda or Hundai or whatever. My "go faster" cars are all vintage Saabs. Not too bad for handling and snow. There was some reason Saab stole the bid from Kaiser for the Vail and Aspen police departments...

As for AAA, I'm not sure if I'd want to wait all that time just because I wanted them to fix a flat. If I'm somewhere up in the St. Helens wilderness area in my Willys and get a flat, I'd consider it just lazy that I hadn't brought one along. It'd probably take AAA 8 hours to get up there and I could change it in 20 minutes.

Jcmjr1959
01-30-2013, 09:01 PM
You are right , change and go I have spare tires on all my cars and trucks , trailers and I to feel its lazy and sorry for not preparing .....I was trying to be funny ....but my wife says at times you think you're funny but you're not...lol

Nemo von Klepper
01-31-2013, 12:52 AM
I'm sure the AAA guy would think it was funny that someone had to wait forever to have a flat changed, -especially if that someone was the outdoorsy type.
Lol

Jcmjr1959
02-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Hi Nemo , have you worked out location of the spare , is it installed,