PDA

View Full Version : Need different axle ratio

Jvandehey
03-25-2013, 09:32 AM
I have a 66 CJ-5, and it has low running gears in the axles. I am fairly mechanical, but lack a knowledge of what parts would be needed to change the gears in the axles so I can drive faster than 50 mph. Any suggestions?

rmoledor
03-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Have you considered adding a Saturen Overdrive? I think the cost would be pretty close to switching out differential ring and pinions. Replacement Saturn Overdrive, Fits 41-71 Jeep & Willys the addition of this 25% overdrive unit offers gearing the early Jeeps were lacking.

The Saturn overdrive is a fully synchronized unit that can be shifted-on-the-fly. When installing the unit, only minor modifications are required to the floorboard for the shifter. The Saturn is built to handle up to 300 ft./lbs. of torque, well within the range of a stock V8. The Saturn is the original unit designed and developed by Warn Industries. The units were offered with the 6 and 10 spline internal assembly and the 26 or 29 tooth output gear.

The Saturn overdrive installs directly on the backside of the transfer case through the inspection cover. No cutting or modification of the drivetrain is required. No relays and electrical connections required.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
03-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Not an advocator for the magazine but JP had a whole issue devoted to axels in Sept 2012. Might be worth a look for you.

fixin frenzy
03-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Have you considered an axle swap? The 4 cyl. wranglers have 4:11 and the 6 cyl. have 3:55. Usually can pick up a used axle cheap then have disc brakes up front.