PDA

View Full Version : Fuel problem 1944 MB

amtrac1953
03-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Hi guys,

I'm currently restoring to road condition my 1944 Willys that had not been started for 10 years when I brought it. I have replaced the fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel filter ( mounted on the right side of body ), fuel lines & fuel pump. the original fuel left in the system had turned to gunk ! so the system had to be fully replaced. My problem is after all that the pump is not pumping fuel from the tank to the fuel filter bowl. I have tried two fuel pumps, one NOS rebuilt and one new made without success.There is no blockages in the lines. I have owned three jeeps and never had this kind of fuel problem.Any help would be wonderful.Thanks.... Brian.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
03-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Are they getting power? If they are maybe try and prime the pump before running.

54willysau
04-02-2013, 12:53 AM
HI----- From your description there is an air leak between the tank and the fuel pump, most likely at the fuel filter
make sure you use a new ring gasket at the filter also fiber washer on bolt at the filter. Check all the gland nuts also
the flexible hose between the filter pipe and the pump pipe.
Where about in AUS are you?
RON

amtrac1953
04-04-2013, 02:29 AM
Hi Ron,

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm in Woy Woy NSW.Approx.50 miles north of Sydney.The advice is much appreciated.I'm going to check it out when it stops raining, if it ever does.I'll let you know how I go....... regards. Brian.

workingdog
04-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Brian,
I presume this Jeep hasn't been stuffed around, and has the normal fuel system. No electric pumps or other unnecessaries?
If that is the case, I wonder if you've tried this simple method?

Remove the pickup line from the fuel tank. Attach your compressor to the pickup line and gently blow some air down the line towards the motor.
If there are any leaks, you will see them pretty quickly.

Naturally, if there are no leaks, you'll prime the fuel possibly up to the carburettor.
Additionally, there should be a priming lever on the bottom of the fuel pump. You can pull it up and down until it doesn't appear to have any further pressure.
This will prime the fuel pump if there are no air leaks.

If the compressor pushes fuel up to the carby you then need to check that the pickup tube is not blocked.
With the fuel line still disconnected, blow with the compressor back towards the fuel tank. You should hear the air bubbling into the fuel tank.
If not, the pick up tube is blocked due to time and the fuel turning to shellack.

After you've fixed the problem, may I suggest that you add Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel tank...or...if you can’t find that marvellous product (no pun intended)...use some Moreys.
Once you get your Jeep running, I would strongly recommend you use Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase...if you haven't already.

Good luck mate.
All the best,
Ben

amtrac1953
01-26-2014, 10:58 PM
Hi Ben,

I'm very sorry for the long overdue THANK YOU and all other members for their help. I found my problem. It turned out to be an air lock in the fuel line from the fuel filter to the engine. I have been so busy doing other things with the jeep that I didn't get back to the forum.thanks again Ben.
Brian.