PDA

View Full Version : major gas leak and gas in the oil.

Jamers08
05-02-2013, 10:01 PM
I have a mystery willys, all pieced together from all sorts of different willys throughout the years. I just got it in February, not to restore, but to get running well and have some fun in the desert. It was running really well but I went to start it up today to go for a drive and I have a HUGE problem. There is gas spewing out the side of my valve spring side cover gasket (at least that is what this diagram says it is http://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/3420 )...the gas is coming from the top of #13 on that diagram. I have an F head engine. I checked the oil and I also have a TON of gas in my oil! That was not there just 3 days ago when I had it running. I went to drain my oil to see how bad it was and gas just came pouring out.

ANY ideas/input on this problem would be greatly appreciated as I don't have any idea what this could be or how complicated the problem really is.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Jamers08
05-14-2013, 12:10 AM
oh my goodness that was a project. figured out that it was just my stupid gas cap! the cap that was on it when I got the jeep was just a metal thing that sat on top of the hole...so i got one that actually latched on so that it wouldn't bounce off. well the one that I put on there apparently wasn't vented enough, which caused too much pressure, in turn making gas go everywhere it didn't need to be. so I vented the gas cap (just drilled little holes) and drained all of the bad oil out. got new oil filter. had to replace that valve spring cover gasket, which meant taking the exhaust manifold off, etc. then, the gasket that I got didn't fit and I was too impatient to wait for another one to arrive, so I got gasket material and cut my own. it is now all back together and running like a champ!

dave351cid
05-14-2013, 05:50 AM
good to hear your up and running again mate.
sometimes its the simplelest things that can bring the best of plans undone.

if it still leaks fuel into the oil, it might pay to check the fuel pump out. if the seals go in some pumps it can let the fuel leak into the sump.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
05-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Congrats on figuring that one out. That would have taken me forever to figure out and to be honest I probably wouldnt have. Thank you for posting...now its in the back of the old nugget. Glad you got it fixed.

Jamers08
05-14-2013, 07:34 PM
honestly my boyfriend is the one that figured it out...and that was only because he had a motorcycle that had that problem a few years ago! Otherwise my poor little thing would still be sitting in the back yard.

been driving it all over just to keep testing it, and it seems to be doing well...I do have a question though, it's idling kind of strange...it will rev up and then ALMOST die (but it won't die) and then rev itself up again. this only happens when it's been running for a bit and is nice and warm. if I mess with the choke it will help, but then it is just idling really high constantly. any ideas?

Scott A. Kirk
05-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Hello Jamers08, I had similar trouble with Idle and the other issues you are having. It acted like the float was sticking. I rebuilt the carburetor and also used carb cleaner called 'Dragon Fire". for one think its about the best. I also have switched to an electric fuel pump. I mounted it as close to the tank as possible. I hope this may help you.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
05-17-2013, 11:19 AM
I have to second Scotts suggestion.

Jamers08
05-19-2013, 02:30 PM
thanks :) It has an electric fuel pump, but I haven't done anything with the carb yet. Alternator just gave out on me so that will have to be done first. One thing at a time and hopefully I'll eventually get it going.