PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Fellow Willys Enthusiasts!

Over Educated Redneck
05-16-2013, 08:53 AM
My name is James and I live around San Antonio, TX. I've always wanted an ol' Willys truck and finally came across one in decent condition last week. I am now the proud owner of a 1950 Willys 4x4 truck with the Hurricane 4 cyl. in it. I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of the service/restoration manuals that I just ordered from KaiserWillys.com so that I can dive into restoring this truck to its former glory. I'm sure I'll have questions along the way and I just wanted to say thank you in advance to those who are willing to share their wisdom/experiences. Have a great day.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
05-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Over Educated Redneck
05-20-2013, 08:11 AM
I appreciate it. I just received my service/parts manuals from KaiserWillys.com and can't wait to get this project started. Have a great day.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
05-20-2013, 05:21 PM
One of the best things for me when I started tearing down mine was the 2nd hand fixes that were in the truck. You wont find fixes for those types of changes in the manual so you will just have to wing it. For example there were 3 different types of windshield wiper systems in my truck, 3 different fuel pumps and various other contraptions I dont know what they are. I will have to post one of them to see if anyone can tell me. Good luck on your resto but most of all have fun.

Over Educated Redneck
05-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Exactly. I found that to be true already. I've always loved the look of these trucks, as well as the simplicity of them. When I came across this truck a few weeks ago, I couldn't pass it up. I'm a novice with these types of vehicles, as well as most other types of vehicles, but I'm looking forward to getting it going again. I've been looking for a mechanic in this area (in the San Antonio, TX area) who has a lot of experience with these types of vehicles/engines (just in case I get into a bind), but I haven't had much luck, yet. Right now, I'm in the process of taking out a 3/8" metal plate that was welded inside of the bed, directly on top of the existing bed, so that I can get better access to everything back there. That's been a chore so far. I'm definitely having fun with this one. I'm enjoying this one quite a bit more than when I was fixing up my fuel-injected Bronco and all of the associated electrical components. I've been impressed with how well the body and frame have held up over the past 63 years. It has less rust on it than my 1990 Bronco had.