PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoman Needs HELP!!

mdunruh
07-30-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm new to this vintage Jeep thing. I've been around Jeep a lot and have owned a 1980 CJ-7 and a 2009 Unlimited. A friend of mine just gave me his WWII Ford GPW and it needs a TON of help. The owner before him had planned to make it a rock crawler and did a lot of mods to it that, in my opinion, didn't respect the history behind the vehicle.

About 85% of the body has bondo on it with some of it up to 3/8" thick. The side steps have been replaced. The rear of the tub was cut out and replaced with diamond tread steel plate. The tool indentions have been filled with bondo. The steering column has been replaced (another issue in itself). The seats in it were HUGE and out of scale. The roll bar was homemade and you could tell. The fuel tank was bolted where the back seat should've been with a heavy steel plate wedged on top of it. Etc, Etc, Etc......................

So, I'm not one to do a lot of rock crawling. However, I WOULD like to see this vehicle with some of its original glory returned. So, I'm stripping the bondo and I've already removed the gas tank, plate, roll bar and seats. Now, I'll have to take the tub off the frame to get a better idea of what I have underneath.

I'm going to have a ton of questions and thoughts. I'll need your help.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
07-31-2013, 09:11 AM
If you are trying to take that rig back to original you may be better off finding a new to you one. The cost in replacement parts alone may add up to what you would spend to start from scratch on one thats a bit closer to what you are looking for. If you stick with what you have then it sounds like the whole body should be replaced. What kind of suspension do you have? I'm guessing its not original?

mdunruh
08-01-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure about the suspension. I know the front driver's side has a helper spring on it, but none of the other corners do. I'm not looking to make it original. I'm thinking a "surviver" will be more the style. I have two other vehicles available that may get put to use to make this road worthy. But those will require a lot of work, also.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
08-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Is your profile pic a picture of the one you are working on?

mdunruh
08-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Yes. It is.
Is your profile pic a picture of the one you are working on?