PDA

View Full Version : Gas in oil

jeeper123
08-31-2013, 08:19 PM
Hi I just bought a 1961 or 64 Willey's not sure of year yet still checking. It starts and runs well but I am getting white or light blue smoke out of her. I did notice that the oil is very thin and smells like gas. What are your thoughts on this matter, carb. or fuel pump? I checked the compression and it is fine on all four cyl. I am guessing one or the other or am I missing something else it could be. Thanks

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
09-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Its hard to say. If you are sure your rings are good (as indicated by the the compression test) I would guess a problem with the carb. Either too much fuel is getting to the cylinders or you are misfiring. If you havent done so already check your plugs for a miss. If nothing is indicated its most likely your carb. It could also be your your fuel pump putting out too much pressure. I dont know the specifics of your system but it is worth checking as well.

jeeper123
09-01-2013, 11:54 AM
I did check and replaced the plugs. I took each wire off and it is firing on all four. As for the carb. it looks like it could use a good cleaning and maybe a rebuild so maybe I will try that first. The fuel pump that is on the jeep now is a small one with no vac. I do have a larger one with the vac. at the bottom that I would like to place on. If I was to change the fuel pump and for now just plug the bottom to vac. ports that should work right? Thanks for the help.

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
09-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Sorry cant help you with the vac question. Never tried before. It sounds even more like your carb to me now. Either way be sure you change your oil before running it again.

jeeper123
09-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Sorry cant help you with the vac question. Never tried before. It sounds even more like your carb to me now. Either way be sure you change your oil before running it again.
I will change it for sure. Thanks very much for your help. I am also thinking carb so that will be first.

dauntless v-6
09-02-2013, 02:59 AM
I believe The diaphragm in the fuel pump is bad and letting fuel direct into the oil system. Change out your pump with the one you say you have . since you already have the pump that will save you a few dollars on the carb rebuild if it does the trick

dauntless v-6
09-02-2013, 03:06 AM
On the Vac line , you can plug it. Would be the same difference as the wiper being shut off.

jeeper123
09-02-2013, 07:14 PM
I will change the pump also. The one I have in hand looks much better than the one on the jeep. I just was not sure about plugging the vac. I thought I could but wanted to be sure. Thanks much.

JeepCJ5
11-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Ditto on the fuel pump...the diaphragm is cracked and passing gasoline into the crankcase...I replaced a Hurricane six that was recently overhauled and the old fuel pump was put back on...you guessed it...it filled the oil pan with gas and wiped out all of the bearings...change you fuel pump immediately and change your engine oil and oil filter...you should be OK...if it's not too worn, it should stop making blue smoke...you should have 3 to 7 psi fuel pressure in most carbureted engines...any more pressure requires a pressure regulator between the pump and carb...no need to cap those vacuum fittings...it's just pushing/sucking air...good idea to freshen up the carb too.