PDA

View Full Version : New guy on the block

Geoduck
09-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Howdy from Washington state!
I've had a few jeeps in my time, 15 is the number of cj's, m38's, 3b's, pickups&wagons but I never had an old Jeepster till now! Just bought two for a song and a dance and I didn't have to dance! 1949 & 50. One looks to be all there, the other is lacking engine, radiator,, seats, etc. Can't wait to get them home and get started! The plan is to restore the 49 to stock and turn the other one into a stump jumper.
Anyone out there ever converted one to 4x4?
I'm guessing I'll need to find a 27 axle, engine,tranny& transfer for the stump jumper. Thinking on a Toyota motor or something that will get some gas mileage.
Any advice, ideas?
Love to get some input!
Power steering unit?
Etc,etc,etc
Talk to me!

1948 Cal Willys Pickup
09-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to say never messed with a jeepster. Good uck with your mods.

JeepCJ5
11-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Welcome to the forum...looks like you hit the jackpot...as for making a jeepster into a 4x4, this the reason why the Good Lord invented the oxyacetylene torch, the Sawzall, the chopsaw, and the various tools and gizmos to get the job done...it shouldn't be rocket science to figure something out...as for a Toyota engine, why don't you just find a complete Toyota, Chevy S 10, Ford Ranger, Dodge Dakota, or any other easily obtainable 4x4 running chassis and just put the Jeepster sheetmetal and body onto it ?...this way you will have power steering, disc brakes, and everything will already be done for you....this would save tons of time and fabrication...whatever you decide to do, best of luck and keep us posted.:)