Thread: 1960 PU w/Ford 302, Warn OD, Ramsey PTO Winch & Rear Posi - Springfield, Oregon

Threaded View

1960 PU w/Ford 302, Warn OD, Ramsey PTO Winch & Rear Posi - Springfield, Oregon

After a Long absence, I'm back into the Willys/Jeep world.

I'm a 68 year-old retired truck driver (and later a draftsman) living Oregon, where everything rusts (check out the poor truck).

In the past I've owned a '51 CJ3a, '61 SW (installed Chev 283), '42 GP (powered by Ford 289), '63 SW (powered by Ford 289) & '61 FC170 stake bed (installed Ford 300-6).

I bought a 1960 PU that was once owned by the Bonneville Power Admin. This is a good example of the old adage, "rode hard, put away wet". There isn't a straight, undamaged piece of sheet metal on it. If I were to try and repair any part of the body, I wouldn't be able to stop until it was all replaced. i.e., fix the fenders but then they wouldn't fit the damaged cab, etc, etc, . . . . . (check out the back bumper).

No problem, I'm going to enjoy & use it pretty much as it is, once I get it running.

Brakes:

They don't work & my experience is that the master cylinder & wheel cylinders will have to be replaced (pitted too badly to hone out and install kits). The metal brake lines are very rusty & the flexible lines are very bad so they all will need to be replaced. I'm thinking it could run $600+. If I'm putting in $600+ I want better brakes. Probably go the Ford 1/2 ton brake route. These new kits have self-adjusting brakes but I really don't want that. Anyone have some or all of the necessary parts?

Engine:

I've had it running but the carb obviously needs attention. The problem is turns over slowly, like it's dragging somewhere. New battery & rebuilt starter. PO did replace the clutch but never got it running. That has me a little worried. Wonder if he screwed up the clutch installation somehow.

Dan Koozer
    Attached Images Attached Images