Thread: How old?

How old?

Truck 1946 to 50? 4-134 L head Motor (just got it started. Runs like a charm)1946-50.
    Split windshield. V shaped grill.This indicates 1950-64.
    Motor not like on page 241 (parts catalog 2014). Carb. set back as in page 230.(Willys CJ-2A). Page 224 has 46-49 with 4-134L head motor and 50-54 with 4-134 F head motor.
    Mine is a L Head. This information is a bit contradictory. Is it 49 or 50? Serial number was lost in past renovations.
    Thanks for any help.
    Ernie.

Here is a site that lists some alternate locations for serial number plates. You might be able to find your serial number in one of those locations. If not you may have an older truck that was modified with newer stuff. I believe that 50 was the year they changed to the V shaped nose and that was done to accomodate the new engine. I couldnt find anything saying exactly when Willys switched from the split to the single windshield. I know you dont see them much on many post 49 trucks. Also be aware that it wasnt uncommon in those days for dealers to sell a 49 model listed as a 50. That was common practice back in those days. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I am going with 49 for now but I am still going to look for some serial numbers. The truck is under 4 ft. of snow right now so it will be a while.