Thread: Distributor points

Question Distributor points

Trying to purchase new points for my 1949 Jeepster with the 4 cylinder flathead, "go Devil" engine.. Distributor is an "Auto-lite." stamped tag on distributor housing has numbers that don"t match anything available. How can I purchase the right points and condenser. Trying to solve a "won't stay running problem". Any info on removing the distributor would help since I need to try and find an original distributor number. Thanks in advance. Richard

did not choose to remove the distributor. Found points and condenser at local O'reilly's part store. Perfect match. it now purrs like a kitten. I was sure it was a fuel issue at first by the way it acted. Points did not look fried so it may have been the condenser.

There is a plate on the plate on the bottom(hard to even notice unless your looking for it) side of most with numbers. I destroyed mine getting the distributor out with a pipe wrench. If u can't adjust the timing by moving the distributor you will have the same problem. Ended up replacing it with the electronic ignition from Kaiser-Willys.

Carl3,

How was the replace with electronic ignition process? Was it simple? Something a inexperienced person can do?

Switching to electronic ignition is pretty easy. It is just a distributor swap although sometimes the old one doesn't come out very easy. I used a lot of penetrating oil (50/50 mix of acetone and ATF works best), prying, hammering and swearing before it came out. Once I cleaned up the hole, the electronic ignition distributor dropped right in and bolted into place. I was a little disappointed the adjusting bolt is metric. Wiring it in was pretty straight forward. If all else fails, the instruction sheet is pretty easy to follow. http://cdn.kaiserwillys.com/downloads/923068.pdf

Jeff

P.S. don't get that penetrating mix on anything where you might care about the paint.
    Last edited by 51 CJ3; 03-20-2015 at 08:05 PM.