Thread: 1946 Willy Project

Question 1946 Willy Project

I am new to this Willy thing and I need some help, I want to do a complete restoration to its original glory! I am looking for new 15 inch wheels. And i need a fix for a leaky tranny, what seems to be the engine block, and the differentials are both leaking. I hope it just needs new liquids and that the old ones are just cracked and need replacing! Any help would be appreciated

New gaskets on the diffs. The trans will likely need some seals replaced or just have it overhauled while its cold!

I'm sure you can get the seals. For the gaskets, RTV gasket cement is all you need. Have the mating surfaces perfectly clean and degreased. I sometimes buff them up with a little emery cloth. Then put the gasket cement on and assemble it but don't tighten the bolts. Just tighten them enough so both surfaces are making contact to the gasket cement and then let it set overnight. Snug them up the rest of the way the next day. I work on a lot of industrial equipment. On a lot of gear boxes and things you don't even get gaskets in a rebuild kit anymore. You just get the seals and a tube of RTV permatex.