Thread: New to the Jeep world. 1950 Willy's M38 Revival.

New to the Jeep world. 1950 Willy's M38 Revival.

Hi all,
    If you are reading this you are obviously enthusiastic about the world of historical Jeeps and for that, I thank you! I have never driven anything that saw time before the 90s or didn't have fuel injection so bear with me. I am inheriting a 1950 Willy's M38 from my grandfather and I'm hoping I can utilize this forum and its people to help me with my rebuild project. Actually it's not much of a rebuild project since it has been sitting in a barn for probably 30+ years and is in great shape. I live on the outskirts of the snow belt in Ohio so I wont be able to pick up the truck until spring but i would like to be prepared and learn as much as i can about the vehicle mechanics and systems. So my first question... What needs replaced after sitting for 3 or 4 decades?
    My first thoughts to get it running:
    Fuel tank
    Sending unit and pick up unit hardware
    Fuel Filter
    Fuel lines
    Fuel filter
    And then cleaning up the carburetor

For driving:
    Upper and Lower radiator hoses
    Water Pump
    Fan Belt
    Brake lines
    Exhaust system

I would love for some input as I am doing my best to learn. Looking forward to some feedback!

Thanks,
    Chris

There is a good chance that some of the seals in the axles, transmission, transfer case, or engine may leak. They tend to dry out after sitting that long.