Thread: Restoring Ham's '48 Willys 2WD; Ignition Switch Overhaul

Restoring Ham's '48 Willys 2WD; Ignition Switch Overhaul

The ignition switch had problems. It gritted and ground as the key was turned and stuck between positions too. I took the switch to the local lock shop and the locksmith did a great job in cleaning up the tumblers in the cylinder. But - he wouldn't touch the switch end. It is secured with four pressed down tabs that in all probability will fracture if you try to loosen them. I don't blame the locksmith for not wanting to fool with it.

I took the switch home and gave the switch end a good looking over. It has the standard three terminals; a threaded stud that ties to the battery, a screw lug that is what would be called the Accessory (ACC) terminal, and the third terminal as the Ignition (IGN) terminal. A check with the meter gave some weird results. BATT to ACC was a pretty good contact - but intermittent. BATT to IGN was no good - 10 to 25 ohms, way too high. But - the kicker was that in the OFF position, there could be as low as 5 ohms between terminals. That's not good - the switch is never off.

There were three options; find a replacement from a parts truck that might have worse problems, use an after market universal switch that really didn't fit - or open it up and try to fix it. What the heck - it's already broken - let's try door number three!

I soaked it in mineral spirits and swashed it around as much as I could - not much change. It had to come apart. I pried on the ears that secured the switch to the lock body as carefully as I could - but one ear broke off. Aw Pooh! Anyhow, the switch end came off; some plastic pieces, a brass terminal contact and a spring. BUT - the switch end was loaded with graphite after 60-plus years of locksmiths and garage mechanics squirting graphite grease into the switch. Graphite is powdered carbon - it's an electrical conductor! No wonder it wouldn't turn off!

I cleaned out the grease, buffed the contacts and cleaned them with a cleaner called DeOxit. By holding the switch together with my fingers, I was able to verify that things had improved a lot. Now - how to get it back together?

I ended up using a C-clamp as a holding fixture and JB Weld Steel epoxy to hold the plastic switch assembly to the metal body. It set up and I checked out the switch. BATT to ACC measures in the milli-ohm range, BATT to IGN measures about a half-ohm. I expected this since the terminals were oxidized a bit. Shouldn't be a problem - if needed we can tie ACC and IGN together.

I'm pleased how it turned out. In four or five years we'll know how well the JB Weld holds.
    Attached Images Attached Images