Thread: KoralsReef Willy's

Question KoralsReef Willy's

Hey there all, as you can probably see my Willy's needs some attention an bunches of work. To start with Im in the search of a carburetor and am woundering if anyone has used the universal carb I seem to find everywhere. If you have whats your opinion of its performance.

I have no experience with the "Universal Carburetor" - but in most cases 'universal' ends up being 'almost good enough'. I'll bet you have a Carter YF on a Jeep that old. The Carter YF is a very easy unit to rebuild if you can get the old one apart. Lots if instructions and You Tube videos on how to do it. Aside from something being broken, the only real obstacle is if the accelerator pump diaphragm is so cruddy that you have trouble getting the pump out of the bowl. (A heat gun helped me get mine apart). There are only two mechanical adjustments and no springs or balls to fly all over the place. KWAS has a Master Carburetor Repair Kit for less than $50.00. I'd give a rebuild a shot - it's fairly simple and inexpensive.

If its a 3A or earlier, it probably had a Carter WO. You may be talking about the Solex carburetor. Tried one on my 3A but went back to the WO. Many times with the Solex, you have to use a fuel pressure regulator to cut back the pressure.