Thread: Hi, I'm new here.

Hi, I'm new here.

I live in Iowa. I've wanted a Jeep ever since I was a little kid. Now I'm 60 years old and I figured it's high time I got one. Last October I got a 1956 CJ5 with a Kelly All-steel hard top, a PTO and hydraulics for a snow blade but I didn't get the blade. The body is very rusty and I plan on replacing it eventually. It has a lot of little things I have to do to it like you would expect for a Jeep that old. The engine has 145 lbs compression and 30 psi oil pressure and idle and 60 psi at fast idle. It starts and runs great! The previous owner wanted to convert it to 12 volt. He did a very sloppy job of mounting an alternator on it, then he took a wire cutter and cut every single wire out of the Jeep. Then he realized he didn't know how to rewire it so he put it up for sale. Also it didn't have a title. He wanted $1000.00 for it. I just watched it. A year later he posted on facebook that he was going to junk it if someone didn't buy it. I traded a shotgun and a hundred bucks for it.

I got a bonded title first. I'm a mechanic and wiring is what I do best. That old Jeep is so simple it's been fun to rewire. I added a starter solenoid and gauges. So far I've put a Solex carb on it, fixed a leak in the radiator, replaced the water pump, replaced the heater core and the fan motor, bought a battery, tuned it up and some smaller things. I've got lots to do yet. It has a plastic gas tank out of a boat and I need to buy electric windshield wipers.

IMGP2996sm.jpgIMGP2997sm.jpg
    Last edited by Go Joe; 05-01-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Welcome to the forum. Nice find there.

Thank you. I've been enjoying working on it. I wish Kaiser Willy's would offer a fiberglass body. I know steel tubs are better but it's going to be a long time before I can afford one. I'm not planning on doing anything rough with this Jeep, just drive it around town.

Yeah, tubs can get kind of expensive.