Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Wisconsin

^
    I do still have the same tires. They were only sitting for 11 years though... ...not that it makes a difference less 6 years. They weren't flat and they look good without dry rot or anything so I thought they may be ok. In any case, my "death wobble" is intermittent. I would think that if the tires were the culprit, it would happen more predictably? Maybe not? I can start hitting up the local craigslist for a newish set.

YAY! It's fixed!
    Drove it around all weekend and 20 miles to work today without issue. The kingpin bearings were worn and did not have the proper preload. When we put it together with new bearings and races the preload was still off until we removed ALL shims from the upper and lower caps on both sides. We ended up with about 12lbs of pull per side which is right on the low end of the specifications. Now I've got to start thinking hard about an overdrive so I can get some better fuel mileage and go a little faster.

We pulled my newly acquired '59 wagon home last night as well.

That's awesome you got it fixed! Send some pictures of the wagon, I'm thinking of buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyB View Post
    That's awesome you got it fixed! Send some pictures of the wagon, I'm thinking of buying one.
    Here's some pix of the wagon.
    The floor is pretty much gone but the rest is nice. All original and came with the owners manual, supplements, warranty card, vehicle production order and even a "Willys owner identification card". LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking Wagon! Are you going to go with a solid paint color or a two-tone?

Quote Originally Posted by AmyB View Post
    Nice looking Wagon! Are you going to go with a solid paint color or a two-tone?
    Honestly, I have no idea yet. I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with it but I couldn't let it sit and rot. The original production order says the wagon came all blue from the factory so If I decided on a full restore that would probably be the color. I'm not sure that's what I want to do though, maybe a resto-mod? Then the color would definitely change.

First thing I think though, is to get the engine running which shouldn't be too terrible as everything seems to be there and it turns over freely. Also, the previous owner said that he had it running last summer but it would quit when he let off the gas so I'm hoping it's relatively simple. At that point I can put around the property and in and out of my shop.

Then....I don't know. I've always wanted to paint a wagon a bright candy orange color. The ultimate dream build would be that color; 383 stroker; Dana 44 front, 44 or 60 rear, 4 wheel disc brakes and a dana 300 transfer case. I'm not sure if I'd do a manual or automatic transmission. All leather interior....the kind you can swim in, and all the electronic goodies and amenities of modern day. That would cost me a lot of money and take a few years though. We can all dream can't we?

good looking wagon.
    the wagons must have been pretty popular in the states from what i have seen on the net. they are pretty rare here in australia and i have only seen a couple of them.

i like your idea of hot rodding it with flash paint and modern tuff running gear.