Thread: Inherited a 53 Willys 1 ton pickup- What is it worth?

Inherited a 53 Willys 1 ton pickup- What is it worth?

I recently acquired a 1953 Jeep Willy’s pickup, mostly original condition. It’s been in our family since the late 1950s but it’s been parked for the last 25 years. It’s the 1 ton 4x4 model with an inline 4 cylinder F134 motor. The motor might not be the original, it was rebuilt in the early 1980s by a company in TX and I don’t know if they used the original block or did a core swap. It has a metal plate with the rebuild info that covers the original engine stamp. It appears to be bored 0.03 over on the pistons. As far as I know everything else is original, it is still set up for 6volt system. It has spent the majority of its life in south central South Dakota so it’s almost rust free. The doors were repaired or replaced at one time and they have a little rust on the bottom edge. The bottom front edge of the bed is also mildly rusted. The body, badges and trim are all there and it currently runs. It is missing the original gas tank and it needs new exhaust after the header. We actually have the original South Dakota Title and registration.

Couple questions for all you Jeep/Willys lovers- What is it worth, real money, if I chose to sell it? And also, is anyone out there seriously looking for something like this? I might continue to fix it up, it needs paint and lot of little TLC. But if someone is going to buy it, I probably should not waste more time with repairs they will not like. Right? Thanks in advance for all your advice.

Have you considered listing the truck for sale in the classified ads section of the forum? A search of the current listings might help you determine an approximate price based on comparable trucks. Have you posted any pictures of the Jeep?

I have been checking the For Sale sites every now and then. I can't really determine if a pickup is worth more than a regular CJ or not. From what I know, they are a little more rare. I was hoping for some guidance on actual values from people with experience. I think I'll finish my plan to paint it in an early 50s duck hunting camo pattern. I'll continue to fix up the little things and then maybe I'll post it for sale. Tried to add some pictures but it's not working.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, pictures do work. I thought I was too dumb to add pictures. Turns out I wasn't too dumb to add pics....

I used to be very indecisive, but I'm just not sure if I am anymore.

Wild Guess

Quote Originally Posted by redneckjunkyard View Post
    OK, pictures do work. I thought I was too dumb to add pictures. Turns out I wasn't too dumb to add pics....

I used to be very indecisive, but I'm just not sure if I am anymore.

"Yo, Red"

Your '53 looks just about as bad as my '48 did a year ago. But, if yours runs, it's 'way ahead of mine.

A Jeep (especially one with that much .. er ... character ... ) is worth just exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. If it runs, $1,500 to $3,000 depending just how much the guy wants it. It probably has parts value of $500 to $800 if it doesn't run. The guys at Montana Overland (where old Jeeps go to die) might give you a bottom line parts number. (http://www.montanaoverland.com/).

Paint it, run it - enjoy it...