Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: g`day from queensland, australia.

g`day from queensland, australia.

g`day fellow Willys fans.

i`m Dave and live on the central coast of Queensland, Australia.
    i have a `62? willys truck with the 6-230 OHC engine that i am about to start a complete strip and rebuild on. i picked it up at a swap meet 18 months ago but had to finish building my shed first so i have somewhere to work. the truck is in pretty good condition for its age and mostly complete. about the only thing missing is the winscreen. the engine is suposed to have been rebuilt recently for the previous owner before he passed away. it runs ok and i have driven it around my yard a few times but no brakes limits me a bit.

picking it up

when i was a kid we had one simillar to this only a 6-226. i have always thought they are the coolest looking old 4x4.
    Last edited by dave351cid; 04-19-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Great find! The body looks like it's in really good condition... We just picked up a 51' truck last week and the body is going to need some work... Good luck on the new project and keep us updated on your progress!
    Kaiser Willys Auto Supply
    Toll Free: 1-888-648-4923

Nice! I really envy all of you that live in relatively rust-free climates. Not that I'd like to live in them; to hot for me....but the winters and road salt up here absolutely destroy stuff.

P.S. Your steering wheel is on the wrong side.

Dave,
    What have you got planned for it? Are you going to restore it back to original or restore it for a daily driver?

plans are to restore it back to near original . minor safety changes like dual circuit brakes, seat belts, maybe a better seat from a later model Ford Falcon ute ( i have seen a couple of willys with these seats and they fit nicely. still deciding on the colour but will probably stay with the dark green (seems to have been the most popular colour over here).
    the body is in quite good condition with very little rust that i have found and no crash damage. only one bullet hole in the bonnet.
    i would like to build a new tray for it using the old one to copy.

it will just be another weekend toy for me.

i seem to have lost my first photo so i will put it up again .

bringing willy home

how it was when i fount it

inside

engine bay

hello, its a nice project, I not look too rusty, I'd like to find a similar near me.

good restoration.

timberjack

g`day timberjack.
    yep its in pretty good shape for its age. must have been a barn find i would say. sadly i dont know much of its history before the previous owner bought it.
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave351cid View Post
    plans are to restore it back to near original . minor safety changes like dual circuit brakes, seat belts, maybe a better seat from a later model Ford Falcon ute ( i have seen a couple of willys with these seats and they fit nicely. still deciding on the colour but will probably stay with the dark green (seems to have been the most popular colour over here).
    the body is in quite good condition with very little rust that i have found and no crash damage. only one bullet hole in the bonnet.
    i would like to build a new tray for it using the old one to copy.

it will just be another weekend toy for me.
    Hi Dave,
    If you are going to work on the brakes, I'd suggest upgrading to the 11"x2" Wagoneer style; well, unless you want to go all out and convert it to disc. The Wagoneer brakes offer quite a bit more power and make it so you don't have to remove the hub on the rear to mess with them. Oh, and they're self adjusting too.
    Last edited by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi; 04-30-2012 at 10:45 AM.

i thought about disc , but decided to keep it close to oroginal. will make getting it regoed a lot easier as well.
    i have just bought a complete brake overhaul kit plus a dual reservoir master cylinder from Kaiser Willys Auto Supply .
    hopefully once i put all new parts into it i shouldnt need to do too much more work on the brakes when its on the road. i doubt that i will be working it too hard. if i decide to do any hard core 4x4ing i would buy something thats a bit more common and easier to get parts for.

i will need to get most of my parts from the states as there is not much willys gear available here anymore.