Hello,

This is my first post on this form. Most of my experience with Willy's has been limited to the military vehicles, M38's and M38A1's.

My wife has moved me over to the civilian side with her purchase of a running 1950 VJ Jeepster in April. It has the inline six and the overdrive T96 transmission.

Enter her 1949 Willy's Station Wagon.(For "safe" winter driving) My initial research indicates that the 1949 year was offered with both the 4 and 6 cylinder engine. First Question: Does the 4X463 model number indicate that this unit originally came equipped with the four cylinder engine? This basket case came with an uninstalled "overhauled" 226. Second Question: The engine bay looks like it is too short (by at least 3") to accept the 226. I'm unable to get an accurate measurement because a dead Jeep V6 abandoned conversion is in the way. Second Question: Is the station wagon grill longer on the engine side on the 4 cylinder and shorter on the engine side for the six cylinder equipped model. Do the grills for these two different engine options have different part numbers?

Let's do this the easy way! Perhaps someone with the six cylinder (226) model can measure from the distance from the back edge of the grill unit, where the radiator mounts, straight back to the firewall. My measurement is 291/4 inches. The firewall is bare, no insulation.

If you met me you would recognize that I need all the help I can get!

Thanks, Brian-Sacramento