Thread: 1950 jeepster t96 transmission with overdrive problems

1950 jeepster t96 transmission with overdrive problems

My wifes 1950 Jeepster with the L6-148 (or 161) six and T96 with overdrive has developed some problems with the transmission? It won't go into reverse. If you try to shift it into reverse it grinds.

When the clutch is depressed you can hear a rotational wine, pilot bearing? Shifts into other gears without grinding.

Do I have a clutch problem or transmission problem or both?

Brian - Sacramento

You ask; "Do I have a clutch problem or transmission problem or both?"

When you depress the clutch, the drive line seems to disengage since you can shift into the forward gears. That points to the clutch being OK. You describe a problem with only reverse.

I'd guess a transmission problem ...

Let us know.

After a couple of days thinking, another idea; it's a bit of a long shot but better than a T96 teardown.

The shift control levers on the shifter had a chronic fault of fractured welds. If the low-reverse lever is flopping around , it could still have enough engagement to allow you to shift into low, but it has enough slop to keep reverse from engaging fully, thence the grind.

Still a lot of work to fix, but not a transmission pull and tear down.

Good luck.

I will try and investigate your theory this weekend. Maybe it's time to get serious about a lift in the garage?

Maybe another ticket for tonight's 800 plus million dollar Powerball?

Brian - Sacramento