Thread: Willys Truck Axle Swap

Willys Truck Axle Swap

Hello all, looking to pick up a Willys truck sometime in the near future. Ideally I would like to pick up one of the 60's models but I'm definitely not going to be picky if I come across one for the right price. I would like to restore it and work towards getting it to be a little bit of a daily driver type. I'm not going to use it for work every day, but thought it would be neat to take out once in a while. I know the Dana 53's aren't a popular axle anymore, and the ratio's in them aren't really made for todays cruising speeds. I was wondering if anybody has successfully swapped an axle or ring and pinion to get it down to a 3.87 or so. Any advice would be very welcome, especially with pictures of course! Thanks.

Differential Gear Swap

" I know the Dana 53's aren't a popular axle anymore, and the ratio's in them aren't really made for todays cruising speeds. I was wondering if anybody has successfully swapped an axle or ring and pinion to get it down to a 3.87 or so. "

Try cruising with a Timken 5.38 gear set. You can pull a train with them, just not very fast!

But, about swapping ring and pinion gears, here is a discussion about the task:

http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modif...install-45599/

There are You-tube videos as well .. Jeep Ring and Pinion Swap.

If you try it, let us know. Good Luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hello, maybe you can change the hole differential for a 80´s era dodge pick up dana 44. use the same lug pattern and the width is ok for the Willys, the brakes are better and if you have luck find a powerlock on it, need a narrow front end for a Willys so you have to use a scout dana 44,
    good luck
    2012-11-11 14.42.54.jpg