Page 133 of 252 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

I don't recall it being adjustable. The one in the first picture was retained, but a good soaking of penetrant and it worked fine. The engine/transmission mounts are not slotted fore or aft, so there shouldn't be an issue there. Just making sure, is the rear of the body even with the rear cross member, or is it hanging over? There might be just enough play to allow you to shift the body forward, but not that much.

actually when i dropped the body on the frame, incredible as it sounds, when i looked down the holes for the three bolts in the front, i was able to drop the bolts in. incredible.,, the two carriage bolts were maybe 1/8th off, and some wiggle with a large handled phillips took care of that, and the two bolts on the bottom of the rear floor that go into the frame were same way, just lined up as they were supposed to be. but i took some advice and when the body being re assembled on the spare frame it was all done with bolts holding it down for welding. that was a strong strong tip and it paid off. the two mounting bolts that go on the rear of the tail gate are a bit off but so is rear bumper, but will sort that out.. and rubber spacers in all of them. and since that i have added ground straps to the body from frame.

working still on the starter solenoid button, welded a nut on the business end and dam if it is still a smidgen off.. but there are adjustments on the starter on the activating rod and friday gooing to play with that.

new topic, in all the years, of being around jeeps i never ever saw a scabbord, now for driving in a veterans day parade think a M1, maybe a carbine, maybe a M14??? got three sniper rifles also, USMC model 1941, 1903A4, M40. dont even think that there was ever a scabbord for those, Now kaiser has one for only 344.00 but it i US Made and good quality
    only 344.00 wonder how many they sell??

this has possibilities, and was surprised and the number for sale??
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-US-ARM...1M83:rk:4:pf:0
    Last edited by pelago; 02-28-2019 at 09:20 PM.

I like the scabbord. If it is original, the one on eBay looks pretty good. It's expensive, but it looks right for the age of the leather.
    You can use any rifle from M1, M14, 1903, or even a model 70 Win. Your possibilities are endless since the A1 served in two theaters of operations.

Somehow this just dont look right, and can not remember this?SCABBARD.jpg

That mount is too modern. Plus it would be way too hard to get in and out of the driver's seat. I'm not real wild about the safety being off. I can't determine if the rifle is a replica, a M14, or a M1A. Looks like it has the full auto selector with the notch in the stock. This is how my mind works.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 03-01-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    That mount is too modern. Plus it would be way too hard to get in and out of the driver's seat. I'm not real wild about the safety being off. I can't determine if the rifle is a replica, a M14, or a M1A. Looks like it has the full auto selector with the notch in the stock. This is how my mind works.

ITS GOT THE SELECTOR SWITCH THATS FOR SURE AND I AGREE ON SAFETY, BUT THEN AGAIN WHEN I WENT OUT THE WIRE MY SAFETY WAS OFF TOO, CAN HEAR THAT DAMN CLICK A MILE AWAY AND THAT WAS BAD JU JU KINDA HARD TO GET IN AND OUT, MY THOUGHT IS ITS REAL. HAVE 3 M1A'S AND A BUNCH OF GARRANDS AND A COOL M2STOCKED (M2 STOCK IS A FAT CARBINE STOCK FOR THE FULL AUTO, WHICH OF COURSE I DO NOT POSSESS) CARBINE WITH A BRAND NEW WINCHESTER UNFIRED BARREL ( I WON THE BARREL AT THE 2011 NATIONAL MATCHES. HAD IT PUT ON MY WINCHESTER CARBINE BUT HAVE YET TO FIRE IT. BUT DAMN IF THOSE SCABBARDS AINT PRICEY, MAYBE A REPRO?? AND

where in the hell does the axe go? i can not remember seeing the jeep with full pioneer gear, most of the time the axe and shovel just not with them, maybe cuz even in RVN they got stolen?? for whatever reason. I see some photos of the jeep with the axe on passenger side on top of fender and some on outside passenger side. shovel yeah under hood, and i think i got all the stuff to mount the shovel

This Just Isn't Right!

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    Somehow this just dont look right, and can not remember this?SCABBARD.jpg
    There is a selector. Is it real or just a dummy? Can't tell without handling the rifle. But, we're not in combat here and even for a display - having a rifle (in fact - two rifles) with the bolts closed and magazines inserted just has too many risks. As an NRA Range Safety Officer and a CMP Master GSM Instructor that picture just raises all of the hair on my neck and forearms. To take a term from Ira "Really Bad JuJu"

I can't tell, but the M14/M1A looks like it may have a Picatinny rail on the rear sight. If so, it is probably a Springfield Armory M1A with an added dummy selector. The other one is an M16A2, and it shouldn't have a magazine in it either.

Here is how I carry my various pieces of iron to and from the range and store them. For casual readers, that plastic piece is called an Empty Chamber Indicator and it lets everyone (you, your shooting buddy and the Line Officer) know at a glance that there is not a chambered round in the rifle and it is safe to handle.

Thanks for letting me make my speech.
    Attached Images Attached Images

starter button fixed. and this

bath4.jpg[/]bath 2.jpgbath 3.jpg

wow, we have the same creds. and got boxes of eci's for parade will probably have to have chamber open and chain locked up
    Last edited by pelago; 03-01-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Ira, that is looking great. If you had to, you could drive it down the street with a milk crate for a seat!

That picture has bugged me all day. We both know that there are not many M14's in circulation. If someone has one on the up-and-up, he has more sense (I hope) than display it like that. If it's one of those we hear stories about, that guy isn't going to display it at all. My vote is that rifle is an M1A with a dummy selector. (I hope no one is as dumb as that picture .....).

Don't we wander all over the place with our comments .....

The axe goes on top of the rear passenger wheel well, unless you mount the radios. Then the axe is mounted on the left side wheel well. Yours is looking good. Almost time for a ride around the block.

There is only one firearm within the house that doesn't have the open chamber cable locks installed, even in the safe. I keep my Springfield Arms .40 in a locked gun case, with the mag out, and the slide open. Even Uncle Sam needs a lesson in firearms safety. There is a full bird out there that probably still can't sit down to this day. He signed the document stating that there were no live rounds, or human/organic parts within the truck before being shipped out back to the states. Long story short, there was a live105MM canister anti-personell round still stuffed in the breech. The good thing, the soldiers did remove the firing pin. We do find a lot of live .50 Cal rounds stuck in the books and crannies of the engine.
    If anyone comes down to the CMP range in Talladega, or to the CMP retail store in Anniston, I'll by the first round of your favorite beverage.