Page 82 of 252 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

OIL BATH AIR CLEANER
    Inside the top section there is a screen and then some kind of (unknown to me) fiber that filters air as it is sucked in. what in the hell is it?? where do you get it,,, can it be replaced with bulk brass wool???

The brass or copper wool is enclosed in a cartridge. You can clean it by soaking it in kerosene or solvent, then blowing it out with shop air. Dish soap and water will work in a pinch, as well. It shouldn't need to be replaced, but I did find a source for a used one.

https://powderriverordnance.com/shop...v=7516fd43adaa

I'm just finishing up my air cleaner project on the '48 and I figured out what I think is a nice trick.

We're not going to run our vehicles through sand piles and dust bowls, so the oil bath cleaner with a pint or so of oil in the bowl is a bit of overkill. I always manage to spill oil when I unlatch the cup to empty it.

I found a piece of foam sponge (pink, fairly soft - not hard) and cut it to fit probably two-thirds of the oil cup at the base of the filter. Then, I added enough oil to saturate the foam and leave a little oil exposed to catch dust. The oil still captures grit and dust as it turns the corner at the bottom of the filter, but it doesn't have the spill probability of a pan of oil.

Now, if I was running dirt roads or sand-buggying, this isn't a good idea, but if the dustiest place you go is a gravel driveway - maybe.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I like the looks of the original air cleaner, but yes the oil does go everywhere except the drain pan.

For those that are interested, there is a post where the folks over at G503 show the process for the conversion from an oil bath to a dry element filter;

http://legacy.1943mb.com/c-80-G503_W...ir_Filter.aspx

As a point, and counter point to this issue, here is a guy who had a rust issue after the conversion. I believe that if the air cleaner had been painted on the inside, then this would not have been a big issue. Being that the Jeep was stored outside under tarp, or inside a non climate controlled garage.

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/o...opic35142.html

tm 9 8014 page 153.jpg

this is out of tm 9 8014 and shows a piece i do not have, seems to be a short piece of tubing that goes over the carb intake and into the inlet hose from air cleaner. this connects the crankcase vent thru the oil filler.. page 153 of manual item E carb to aid intake pipe..................... got no idea where to find one of these (afro engineer)???

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Sounds like a good plan to me. I like the looks of the original air cleaner, but yes the oil does go everywhere except the drain pan.

For those that are interested, there is a post where the folks over at G503 show the process for the conversion from an oil bath to a dry element filter;

http://legacy.1943mb.com/c-80-G503_W...ir_Filter.aspx

As a point, and counter point to this issue, here is a guy who had a rust issue after the conversion. I believe that if the air cleaner had been painted on the inside, then this would not have been a big issue. Being that the Jeep was stored outside under tarp, or inside a non climate controlled garage.

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/o...opic35142.html
    cool. might have to think of that old fashioned oil bath filters do work but can be messy messy messy

I just took this off the '48.

I'll send it to you because I'll not use it again and it will just knock around the shop until someone throws it away.

If you can't use it - you get to throw it away!

Oh, by the way. The guy on ebay just knocked $20 off the M38A1 voltage regulator. He might take an offer he can't refuse since folks aren't fighting over it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thats the one,,,, i figured would have to make one diameter is 2,3 and pi X diameter = circumference figued 7,22" welded 22 guage with a fitting in it but this is so neat, yeah am watching that real close but got to stick in my budget and hopefully will get it next week

thank you thank you thank you and i love the card

Quote Originally Posted by larrbeard View Post
    i just took this off the '48.

I'll send it to you because i'll not use it again and it will just knock around the shop until someone throws it away.

If you can't use it - you get to throw it away!

Oh, by the way. The guy on ebay just knocked $20 off the m38a1 voltage regulator. He might take an offer he can't refuse since folks aren't fighting over it.
    got it and thank you so so much

TO DO LIST
    completely cleaned air filter, was able to take out the fiberous (stuff) that was in the top part and actuall washed it in dish soap, came out pretty damned clean. washed and scrubbed the inside with dish soap also. sanded outside good and primed it and it is now USMC shitty green, same color as frame and body will be (looks brand new)
    1. since the voltage regulator went south on me, that kinda screwed my plans a bit, was hoping to spend that money on some body panels. wasnt there something about the best layed plans of mice and men?? New Regulator
    2. mount the steering,, and probably will brace it with a V shaped contraption out of wood, Murphys law, it is going to be covered by a tarp for a while and the thing is just too pricey to not do that. Already have the heat shield in place and one of the bolts from steering housing uses that
    3. vacum lines?? IMHO will only hook up critical vacum lines a, line from oil filler to intake of carb b, dist and carb to a "T" then to powered fuel pump c, two lines from air filter one on the body the other on the top, too the same line that dist and carb are on with a "T" d, final (and jury still out on this one, just might not do it, aint gonna do the submarine thing) line from bell housing to pump. later on of course the window wipers
    4. outside for a bath and then a good quality tarp, and move body to garage!!