Page 110 of 252 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160210 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

The first bracket looks to be the top bow pivot that mounts in the indent above the rear wheel opening on the body. The second is just a guess for the moment, but my shot from the hip tells me that it is the shovel handle tie down bracket, that goes under the hood. The other two, I'm going to have to think about, then look through my photos on Monday.

The battery box is fairly complex for no bigger than it is. As long as you applied a good amount of paint, a few pin holes will be alright. I won't tell if you don't.

We added a drip/drain hole to the battery box on the '48. I didn't want acidic water to stand in there. A few holes are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    We added a drip/drain hole to the battery box on the '48. I didn't want acidic water to stand in there. A few holes are ok.

got two large holes now, and agree with battery acid mix

There is a factory drain tube that goes through the box, and out the firewall in between the two battery trays. A rubber hose attaches to each battery trays, then the hoses tie into a tee. Then out the firewall. Its a good idea to keep the box cleaned out.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-15-2018 at 10:33 PM.

somehow, for some unknown reason will have to make one of these

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/floor-p...3b-5-m38-m38a1

why they changed it?? who knows

I'm not tracking. You should be able to find one on eBay cheaper. You can make one fairly simply by placing the metal blank over a can of the same size as the opening. Peen the center down a 1/8". Then drill the holes for mounting.

glove box1.jpgglove box2.jpginspectionplatte1.jpg

two views of the reworked glove box with new 16 gauge steel bottom all bolted in and glove box installed, all that is left is to put dash on and attach. then a view of the home made inspection port, made of scrap and since it was to cover a modified hole (wonder why someone did that??) it is wierd shaped... and can see the reworked mechanical starter, went to hardware store and go heavy return spring

edit sunday eve. had a section of firewall that i just did not like, when sandblasted the holes appeared, structurally probably did not matter. and i never expect a 600lb gorilla testing the load strength. But was just not happy with it.... Sooooooooooooo i just covered up. made a 16 gauge patch and sheet metal it in

firewall1.jpgfirewall2.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 12-16-2018 at 06:45 PM.

That is the down side of media blasting. It tends to exploit weakness within the metal.

guess there are two sides to every coin. was not happy when i looked at firewall and saw that area, and know the culprit the area between the firewall and the battery box holds moisture. so i rotted out with rust, but in reality the firewall area that i "repaired" will not be noticeable to most the true "believers" of course will see it but WTH its solid now and when engine in and all the wiring done should not be noticeable

firewall1.jpg

interesting observation of wheel wells on m38a1 after sandblasting.....
    I saw where the tires had rubbed the inside of the wheel well on both sides of my m38a1. Tire marks were very evident? why?? oversize tires? wrong size tires? wrong rims? dunno i have a set of rims from M151, and they are offset quite a bit and tires put on them even though right size 700X15 will rub the inside of the wheel well?? correct rims (of which at this time i only have one) fit correctly and the tires have enough clearance to NOT rub the inside of the wheel well.
    Last edited by pelago; 12-17-2018 at 10:43 AM.

The M151 wheels put the tires too close to the wheel wells. Take in consideration that the M151 is an 4 wheel independent suspension set up. The independent suspension was to improve the MUTTs ability to travel across rough terrain at a higher speed. The early M151 and 151A1 version had issues with the inside wheel folding under in maneuvers over 45 MPH. The later A2 version saw a design to the rear suspension that prevented suspension from unloading/folding under. The Kelsey Hayes 16" original equipment wheels has half the back spacing, putting the hub center in the rim. The axle width allows for the tire to be centered within the wheel well, and give quite a bit of articulation without scrubbing. The pictures included show the Kelsey Hayes wheels, and a couple of shots of a M151 wheel under the rear end. You can see how much the offset is by how much the wheel sits inward of the wheel opening with the 151 wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images