Page 156 of 252 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

I haven't had time to verify, but I am fairly certain the glass kit will work. I may be all wet, but the steel strip screws over the rubber seal? If I get a chance, I'll look for the answer.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/body-wi...ld-52-71-m38a1
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-02-2019 at 05:28 AM.

WELL ORDERING THE KIT FOR WINDSHIELD
    NEW TOPIC when running i can hear a pop at exh put hand over exh and will get a pop, not constant but lets say more than occaisonally?? run her up and nothing just a idle thing??

You might need to run through the valve adjustment on the exhaust. You might have a lazy spring that shows itself at idle, when the cam is turning slower. At higher revs, the valve closes with a little more force.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    You might need to run through the valve adjustment on the exhaust. You might have a lazy spring that shows itself at idle, when the cam is turning slower. At higher revs, the valve closes with a little more force.
    did that, and right on the money all four of them,,, and ignition is good, could be the nature of the beast also, because she runs

If it is running well, then leave it alone.

Burp-Pop at Idle

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    If it is running well, then leave it alone.
    Yeah, leave it alone. If it's nothing, we can fix it until it's broken. That's "character" for that motor.

starting out in first gear and shifting to 2nd it has a whole lot of energy, and really can not get into 3rd til i get on a highway

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    starting out in first gear and shifting to 2nd it has a whole lot of energy, and really can not get into 3rd til i get on a highway
    Yep, that's the nature of the beast. In low and second, you have a fantastically low total gear ratio. The engine torque peak is at about 2200 - 2400 RPM, and with those low gears, it doesn't take long to get to the top of the curve. You will find that, in third gear, the happy spot is going to be about 45 MPH. Below that, it wants go go. Above that - it starts to protest a bit and it lugs rather than leaps.

With just a little dragging the clutch it also is pretty forgiving when you turn a corner and don't want to downshift to second from high. There is a lot of low-end torque.

You have commented several times about how the M38 drives like herding a Buffalo. I'd suggest taking it to a front-end shop for a complete alignment once you get enough of it together to make the trip. Those folks know all about caster, camber, toe-in and all that stuff. As usual, find a shop with an old guy who understands the process, not just some young person who knows how to punch the buttons on the computer.

A Ford 300 I6 engine all sound like hell when idling, but they could pull their weight plus once wound up. You'll be alright.

As far as an alignment, there aren't too many kids out there that have a clue about king pins. With Dodge still running straight axles on their 4X4 trucks, There should be someone who knows what they are looking at. I can get pretty darn close using a tape measure and a magnetic level. We use to align semi trucks and trailers using this method until a fancy laser set up was purchased.

have visited three alignment shops and two said they would not be able to do it, the third said "not a problem at all i have two guys that are old school, get your good tires on it and bring it in" three hundred a wheel..............................at least so far

Got more pieces and parts by ups yesterday,,, right rear light, and enough to finish fuel tank install pick up and gaskets
    Last edited by pelago; 05-04-2019 at 10:04 AM.