Page 79 of 252 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Well, it worked for a while when you were checking things earlier.

Dirty contacts are high on the hit list...

Here is a good tutorial (from 1948!) on regulators. It has a section about cleaning contacts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRk1xbJIBcY

Good luck.

Still have not removed cover, drinking some coffee and getting ready to take the dremel and cut off the one bad screw head. This another reason i like my analog simpson, a digital would not have caught the spikes. but watching the voltage on the simpson i could see source 24vdc and then see the spikes to 28 volts, momentarily, then back to source then another bunch of spikes. Agree contacts high on the list. might get lucky and a simple cleaning might work it out. i like those old tech videos, reminds me of Marine Corps audio/visual training aids. old school stuff, but then again it fits me OLD!!

COVER OFF! DAMN LOOKS BRAND NEW INSIDE SUPER CLEAN.. Contact points pretyt, grey, no burn marks just corroded looking, cleaned them the relay on right closest to the cables was stuck open, manually worked it back and forth and adj the wheel so there was somemore tension on it.
    STARTED HER UP, IMMEDIATELY GOT 29 VOLTS THEN VOLTAGE RELAY CLOSED AND I GOT 34 VOLTS. that seems a bit high, called my super mechanic neighbor and he said that that voltage is kinda pushing it. he is going to research this reg and come down and do some magic, but it do work........

Congrats! Glad you won the battle. You needed a win.

As a general rule, voltage should be 28 bolts when batteries are discharged. The voltage would be at 27 volts normally.

went thru the electronic manual TM 9-1825B Electrical Equipment (Auto-Lite), 1944 : United States. War Department : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive not a lot of help, lots of resistance measurments but kind of lacking on what to adjust, feel that the voltage is a bit "brisk" but that should be able to adj down, let it run for 1/2 hour and batteries stayed a pretty much ambient temp, not hot at all. BUT DAMN I DO FEEL GOOD!! I KNOW WHY IT WORKED I AM WORKING UNDER THIS NEAT POSTER A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS SENT ME.............

Now to figure out how to get the damn race bearing inside that damn tubeupper steering race bearing.jpgsteering outer shaft.jpg

The charging systems haven't changed a whole lot in 65 years. The Stryker uses a 570 amp/ 24 volt alternator to run all the Buck Rogers gizmos that our soldiers need for safe passage to and from the battlefield. The regulator is very similar to the one used on your M38A1. As far as adjustments for the regulator, I will have to read up on it to see what adjustments can be made.

Sounds like LarrBeard has out done himself on the poster. He knew exactly what you needed to speed up your recovery.

yeah when the cut off is closed i read excess 30 volts when open i read 28 nominal, but after 1/2 hour feeling the sides of the batteries does not show any heat in them

Amy is the poster lady - no; not the poster girl .....

do these gaps look right, from the tech manual for electronics/regulator pageregulator page 153.jpg regulator page 154.jpg

That is a good source of information. That should get you all set to go.