Page 210 of 252 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220 ... LastLast
Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I think you are saying that you will have .005" of end play. That's pretty good.
    am pretty much convinced of that, i ascribed on a brand new ruler in and out and moved it several times. then measured the two marks do not have a guage like in video, probably only time i wold ever use it being 75yrs old
    then had to drive 47 miles to find gasket spray and some longer 5/16 bolts for the combination yoke, u joint and brake drum

out in cole garage putting it together now

DONE.jpg

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN
    YEAH, 8 BOLT, 4 NUTS, ONE BIG NUT, ONE NEW YOKE, ONE SEAL AND ONE BRAKE DRUM....... Yeah 2 hours most, "BUXX ****"
    YOKE AND SEAL, PRETTY STRAIGHTFORWARD. HAD TO CUT A PIECE OF PVC TO DRIVE THE SEAL IN. Try to hang the brake drum, attach "U" joint and hold up shaft with two hands. YEAH RIGHT, Wound up using one lone bolt kinda long to sort of hang the brake drum to the yoke, then wiggle the u joint to alight hole, put two bolts and nuts to hold the damn thing then back out the bolt holding the drum on then put in ll bolts with lok washers.. prayed the shim with gasket seal waited til dry and installed, the the other pieces. started at 2pm, went inside at 9pm with the thing on. Sitting in my family room sort of just doing nothing and then i sat upright and said the GD washer, did i put it in there or not? was so concerned with torque that i felt i had fortotten to put the washer in...............damn............
    7 30 am went outside and took it all apart and lo and behold there was the washer right where it was supposed to be. had to redo the brake drum and u joint deal all over again, it is now 10 45 am WAY TOO DARN LONG FOR WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SIMPLE JOB, laying on cold concrete really gorped me up last night. Had to take a 'REAL" pain pill, just could not move. but it is in and now to figure out how to get lube in it. have one empty
    squeeze bottle and will try to put a piece of hose on it and get the hose in the hole and add lube

I hate that when the thoughts creep in. Well lets hope for no leaks. My brother calls these 15 minute projects. Projects that turn into monumental events!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I hate that when the thoughts creep in. Well lets hope for no leaks. My brother calls these 15 minute projects. Projects that turn into monumental events!
    only cut myself once

anyone got a better diagram of the e brake other than what kaiser has, misleading (or not) thought both shoes on outside diagram makes one believe one inside nd one outside?

damn i got the drum on backasswards, damn digram looks like it has open side facing back,, seems to be the drum with all the stuff open to front is a real crud catcher
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpK5V9iTiyM

oh well, crapola guess third time will be the charm

damn diagram infers tha the drum is open facing rear

diagram e brake.jpg

GOT TO WONDER WHAT ENGINEER SAID LETS MAKE A E BRAKE THAT CATCHES EVERY BIT OF THE MUD, BLOOD AND BEER ON THE ROAD?????

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Last edited by pelago; 12-01-2019 at 02:59 PM.

That's why most all parking brakes are MIA by the time we get them. The A1 that I did was the first one that was actually functional on any Heep project.

It is chapter 6 in the Military Manual. It starts on page 114. https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link...9-f4861a344c4d If this isn't what you need, maybe I can find something else.

Another source for Military parts from Greece. https://www.military-spareparts.com/
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-02-2019 at 07:10 AM.

DONE.jpg

done and for the last time ...this can only be described as a pain in the ***. And still can nt figure out engineers that had a open scoop facing forward for a parking brake

I think the hope was the transfer case would block everything? Well it looks like you are almost ready for a test ride.

drove 40 miles, got it good and warmed up highway at 50mph, came back and parked it on a clean garage floor, got one tiny drop from rear main but that does not bother me, and none under the offending pieces and parts, went under neath and found one damp spot on the bottom bolt of the bearing housing, but no drops and all seemed dry

You can't get any better than that!