Page 31 of 252 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

when calling air support, we never knew what would show up, what kind of aircraft, and quite frankly what kind of aircraft meant little to us. what we wanted was fire and death on the target, near a place called the rockpile. I called in for air support, and what shows up was incredible two A1E skyraiders, decked out in cammy paint. they made two runs over target with napalm. then came back again with guns. Ever have a skyraider go over your head at about 150 foot with 50's hitting targer. only one problem, four fifties make for a lot of brass and it rained right down on us, i have a scar on my nose from 50 case that got me right on the nose...........

along the same lines again at the same place only a different day, had to call in for fire support, i called the co ordinance in and heard "round out" from radio, biggest damn thing i ever saw, looked up and it looked like a volkswagon going overhead and the target got nailed, nailed but good. called fire for effect, and then again looked up and there were 3 volkswagons going overhead, target erupted, then real quick 3 more and that was it. all i could say was holy **** what was that over the radio. got this deep voice back thru handset and all it said was "This is the USS New Jersey son"

Two Stories and comments:

Airplane Story: There are two flying B-29's in the world today; FiFi and Doc. FiFi has been around for a while and Doc went into Air Show condition about a year ago. I'll call it one day last May, I heard that grumble of radial engines. I dashed out of the house and looked around and after a bit of looking I found the airplane. I was expecting a B-17 (not too rare), but at about 8-thousand feet above a broken cloud deck was the instantly recognizable silhouette of a B-29. Huge wingspan, straight wings. almost a plus sign in wing to fuselage ratio .. OH MY GOSH - a B-29.

The aircraft passed almost directly over Baer Field, Ft. Wayne on a SW heading as I recall. I hit the computer and I found that FiFi was at an Air Expo on the east coast that day. Doc was unaccounted for - no appearance scheduled. I sent an email to the Doc Foundation to try to verify a Doc sighting, but no response. It was my sighting, so I'll claim One Doc on the board!.

Air Support story: FYI - the radio voice call sign for the USS New Jersey was "ONRUSH". She was just coming back into service in mid-1968 when we (USS Shasta (AE-6)) deployed to the Mediterranean. The afternoon we deployed we passed her inbound to Hampton Roads after a day or two at sea doing gun calibration. When we deployed we carried a number (I never knew how many) of 16-inch projectiles in the #2 Hold deep tank along with bagged powder in cannisters.

A friend of mine who spent a couple of "vacations" in Iraq has commented about the expended cases from the gun on an A-10. They'll do more that scar your nose. His comment "A Warthog can make it rain on everybody".

a dozen warthogs sent to the sandbox. those 16" shells are really something, they make real estate turn into talcom powder, people with it. a lot of 3rd world people would be terrified of that shipNVA flag.jpg

previous owner no longer needed it
    Last edited by pelago; 01-27-2018 at 12:46 PM.

There was a third B-29, (Kee Bird) that was found in Newfoundland. It made an emergency landing and was left there in the early 50's. There was a Nova documentary made about it, on how a crew was working to fly it back out. It is a sad story about the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    There was a third B-29, (Kee Bird) that was found in Newfoundland. It made an emergency landing and was left there in the early 50's. There was a Nova documentary made about it, on how a crew was working to fly it back out. It is a sad story about the outcome.
    If that is the plane that landed on the lake then some people went back to get it several years later but it burned up, I need to watch the show to see how it compares to what one of the mechanics told me. It was quite a tale.

PROBLEM!!!!
    Got my replacement fuel pump from Mike and guys at Kaiser... WONT FIT?? CAN NOT GET BOLT HOLES TO LINE UP, WHOLE UNIT NEEDS TO GO TO LEFT AND THE MOTOR MOUNT WILL NOT LET IT GO IN!! Now returning the new pump not a issue, Kaiser great on backing their products. The issue is a pump, wont run without one. This morning i got out my digital calipers and the OLD pump 3.542".... at problem area, the NEW pump 3.657".................. that 0.115 extra width at problem area is the issue.. Am stuck with motor mounts and steel plate it attaches to. that is a given, it cant go away. a person at Ebay is advertising a pump, but its ebay???? NEED a pump. like to get a original one, but???fuel pump location.jpgfuel pump.jpg

ebay.jpg
    ebay pump
    Last edited by pelago; 01-28-2018 at 08:48 AM.

waiting.jpg in a holding pattern until i figure out the fuel pump

tale of the pump. three pumps here. one left came off late 50's m38A1, one in middle came off engine in restoration frame, one on the right is new one from kaiser. Tried something, took the new pump and added standoff and the damn thing went in. but of course the arm not long enough to engage the cam. some options swap out arm, (lots of crap inside these pumps, might botch it) get hold of manufacture send it in to be rebuild ??? (probably cant be done). get new pump from somewhere,,, was told to forget the damned vent system it is a nightmare but vent to intake manifold (already done) "T" off that to distributor and get a glass topped bowl pump??

tale of the pump.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 01-28-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Assuming you measured the diameter of the pump, is it feasible to shave .058 inches off the side that interferes or shave a little from each component in play to get the total?

seriously am considering that, and part of it is gasket material sticking out between pieces. am seriously looking at that. However if for some reason it still wont fit i have buggered up any chance of returning it $139.00 down the dumper, and still no pump............

I would talk directly to the folks at Quarter ton & Military, about the fuel pump that they offer. https://quartertonparts.com/ They are a good group of guys that have a vast amount of experience dealing with Military Jeeps. I've purchased a lot of OEM/NOS parts from them, and have no problems what so ever. After looking up the Ebay add, that fuel pump is for a civilian application also. Here is a link with some information regarding the use of different types,(civilian) fuel pumps.
    http://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=196447&start=15

Kee Bird was in fact the B-29 that made the emergency landing on a lake. The bird was almost ready for it's return to the air, but an APU wasn't tied down, and turned over. The gas tank leaked and started a fire. The bird burnt to the ice, leaving little to be salvaged.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-29-2018 at 02:28 PM.