Page 107 of 252 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157207 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

some progress today,funny how parts from three different hulls just do not fit right away and you gotta beat on em some.... but made some progress

and said "I';; be a sob five times todayprimer1.jpgfloor1.jpgfloor2.jpg

You've done well. The fuel tank well straightened out just fine. Cursing is just part of the fun of old heeps. Sometimes it is finding the right combination of swear words to make things fit right. Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    you've done well. The fuel tank well straightened out just fine. Cursing is just part of the fun of old heeps. Sometimes it is finding the right combination of swear words to make things fit right. Looking good!
    ton of welding to be done, and i did manage to get the area on passenger side to accept the support bracket, took some finagling to do so, but it will be right and tight and do what it is supposed to do. and it had actually broken taking it to be blasted, but was able to weld a satisfactory hold on it and i was able to match up the separation precise. and welded it, and actually did weld it rather well, but it was two pieces of same kind of metal
    Last edited by pelago; 12-07-2018 at 08:33 PM.

You will be a metal worker yet. Good job!

couple of questions....
    the round aperture that is imbedded on the right front fender behind the firewall?? what was its purpose in life,. i just took mine off and removed the little plate inside and also had it sand blasted
    Lifting lugs/rings that go on front and rear bumper, any photos of how they are set up and where can one get the set up?

Shore Power/Jump Start Receptacle

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    couple of questions....
    the round aperture that is imbedded on the right front fender behind the firewall?? what was its purpose in life,. i just took mine off and removed the little plate inside and also had it sand blasted
    Lifting lugs/rings that go on front and rear bumper, any photos of how they are set up and where can one get the set up?
    Could that be the recess for the shore power/jump start connector? If the vehicle was stationary and the radios were in use as a comm post, external power from a motor generator would connect there so the vehicle didn't have to idle continuously to run the radios.

I looked at a couple of places for M38A1 wiring diagrams and the ones I found did not show this connector. But, we also know that all M38A1's are not alike (some have circuit breakers - others don't).

I can't tell you if this connector would handle the current to jump start the vehicle or to keep a trickle charge on the battery.

So, all I can say for a fact is that it is a connector for external power.

Here is a link to a picture of a front bumper with lifting hooks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pict...2yiJF2kdl-vsM:

Power Connector - Revision A

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    Of course you find the answer just after you admitted "I dunno ...".

http://www.jeepsurreygala.com/wp-con...7/m38-wire.jpg

The connector goes to the battery post on the starter. It connects directly to the 24-volt point of the electrical system. One connector goes out to the right fender and another goes back aft for radio power.

I am sure that this could be used for both external power for radios and as a jump-start connector.

As you could see on the earlier picture, it sat in a little recess with a capped connector.

Do you have the recessed metal and did any of the three tubs have a connector?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Of course you find the answer just after you admitted "I dunno ...".

http://www.jeepsurreygala.com/wp-con...7/m38-wire.jpg

The connector goes to the battery post on the starter. It connects directly to the 24-volt point of the electrical system. One connector goes out to the right fender and another goes back aft for radio power.

I am sure that this could be used for both external power for radios and as a jump-start connector.

As you could see on the earlier picture, it sat in a little recess with a capped connector.

Do you have the recessed metal and did any of the three tubs have a connector?

got the recessed fixture, in fact had to cut it out of other jeep because i have a new panel and need to put the recess fixture back in again (ugh more welding) but no connectors but then again where in the hell would i get a jump from a 24vdc source

As LarrBeard stated, the recessed section of the cowl is for the shore power connection. This is in fact to run the radios when stationary, plus to jump off the heep if the batteries die. Every once and a while, a set of shore power cables come up for sale, but the Christy charger are hard to find, if ever.

Radio Jeeps have an angle bracket mounted to the top of the passenger side tool box. The angle iron would be notched for the harness cannon plug connector. The harness runs along the door opening.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 12-08-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    As LarrBeard stated, the recessed section of the cowl is for the shore power connection. This is in fact to run the radios when stationary, plus to jump off the heep if the batteries die. Every once and a while, a set of shore power cables come up for sale, but the Christy charger are hard to find, if ever.

Radio Jeeps have an angle bracket mounted to the top of the passenger side tool box. The angle iron would be notched for the harness cannon plug connector. The harness runs along the door opening.
    i have that on my jeep that i am doing and have the multi pin plug... have even considered putting in a HF radio, maybe might do it later on, got the antennas and all the peripheral stuff. hell i got five 12volt long range hf radios, all are quite small and might even get my hands on a original hf, being old USMC radio rat