Page 167 of 252 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

TOOK THE OLD GAUGE OUT AGAIN.................. TAPPED ON IT A WHOLE SHxxLOAD OF TIMES WITH SMALL MALLET AND RE INSTALLED, NOW HAVEMOVEMENT, SLOW BUT IT IS MOVING START UP HIGH AFTER A WHILE IT GOES TO 40 THEN SLOW TO MAYBE 35 HI IDLE,, AFTER TWENTY MINUTES RUN TIME IT RESPONDS TO THROTTLE

I HAVE TO ADMIT I BELIEVED ADVERTISING TO A DEGREE, BUT THESE GAUGES ARE IMPORTED FOR SURE BECAUSE THE DAMN NUTS ON THEM ARE METRIC
    Last edited by pelago; 07-09-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Sometimes the mallet must come out. Being that these were OEM gauges, and you purchased them from a reputable dealer, then a little stiffness could be expected. Glad that you made forward progress.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    sometimes the mallet must come out. Being that these were oem gauges, and you purchased them from a reputable dealer, then a little stiffness could be expected. Glad that you made forward progress.
    no, i beat on the original gauges from the 50's and it worked, kinda slow but it worked start up pretty high after oil and engine temp warmed up they sat at 30lbs and reacted with throttle, not like a mechanical but worked

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    no, i beat on the original gauges from the 50's and it worked, kinda slow but it worked start up pretty high after oil and engine temp warmed up they sat at 30lbs and reacted with throttle, not like a mechanical but worked
    Sometimes it takes a BFH (BIG FAT HAMMER) and then at times a LFH (little fine hammer) to make things work. Gauges are an ongoing mystery because of the variablity of repro gauges and senders.

I can only speak to my experience with the truck. The truck uses a thermal gauge for the Oil pressure. I don't know what is in the innards of the M38A1 gauge... . In the original condition, the truck sensor was another thermostat-like sensor that we managed to burn up through some as yet undefined oops. I replaced the original sensor with a modern sensor that is a variable resistor.

A. The new resistor sensor didn't match the gauge innards, it registered 15 PSI with engine OFF and 50+ PSI at idle. A series resistor cured that to my satisfaction.

B. As Pelago notes, the resistor sensor driven gauge responds much slower than it did with the original sensor or a mechanical gauge. It takes about a minute to come up to my 30 PSI set point and about a minute to go to 0 after I shut down. That is gauge heat-up and cool-down time, not actual engine oil pressure.

The M38A1 installation is a bit confusing since at some time in the M38A1 lifetime, the Army made all oil pressure gauges standard across their vehicles - 60 PSI gauges were phased out and 120 PSI gauges became standard. Did they change sensors too? The other Forums are not sure or even have conflicting information about that.

As we say about the First Rule of Jeep:

What we see is what we have. Trust nothing you read until you verify it.

CONTINUING TO MARCH
    Raining today, was going to put Magoo in the drive way and adj brakes, more leg room in drive than in garage. not sure if they are "right". but since not gonna do that will probably 'diddle' with the kit i got for the windshield, have two pieces of glass cut, we shall see.
    Going to leave the oil pressure switch/meter as it is for now, i get oil pressure when it runs and good pressure at that. got other things to spend money on

I agree pelago. Sometimes you just have to forge ahead! What a crazy oil pressure gauge. I am getting the feeling that getting the brakes adjusted just right, is a task that has to be done a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I agree pelago. Sometimes you just have to forge ahead! What a crazy oil pressure gauge. I am getting the feeling that getting the brakes adjusted just right, is a task that has to be done a lot.
    especially since i have never done it before and do have manual, but also do have a neighbor that can do it blindfolded and sure will have him watch over my shoulder and make sure it is done right

Split windshield. Have the new frame, (really is identical copy from old one, whoever did it did a great job) have two pieces of new tempered glass, have the weatherstripping and the material to lock it up....................................
    What i dont have is the skill set to put the damn thing together. Five pieces of "shtuff" spent four hours and did not even get close. Going to go back to place that i got the glass and ask them to do it, what say you 100.00 sound about right, these guys in windshield trade got all the secrets and stuff to do it, i sure don't

OLD FRAME AND NEW FRAME

m38a1 windshield.jpgsplit windshield install.jpg

I did the same. There is a glass company down the road, and they wanted $125 to cut and install the tempered glass. Sounded good to me. They couldn't use the rubber seal that I had purchased here, due to the thicker glass then original, and the replacement window frame. They used some 3M sealant, and it looks pretty good. The outter rubber seal did fit real well, and keeps the breeze from leaking in between windshield inner frame and outter frame.

I also did the same. And it was a very good thing. I called in some guy's who did a lot of Semi Truck work. They recognized the seal immediately. They also informed they cut that type of glass in the shop. The glass was very close but, the contour was off and, when the seal was installed it was to tight. They had a diamond belt sander, and went back to their shop to get it. In a few minutes they re-countered the glass and it went together like a glove! No scratches on the new paint. The seal is smooth all the way around. Sometimes you just have to pay the "Guy" who has done it many times before.