Page 138 of 252 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188238 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Real Engineer Tool Kit

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    And now the engineers tell us ...
    There are still some engineers with grease under their nails and busted knuckles who don't trust the computer. Be kind to us.

I have seen photographs of aircraft and vehicle drafting rooms, circa 1938 - 1941, with draftsmen making J-size drawings on linen with old India ink drafting pens. A J-size format is for all practical purposes full size for wing spars ..... .

I couldn't resist. Here is a real engineer's design tool kit.

(Oops, I forgot the Pink Pearl eraser ...)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 03-13-2019 at 07:21 AM.

I can not bad mouth all engineers. The biggest problem now is that these folks go to school, get a job sitting behind a computer designing parts without ever seeing the vehicle in person. No hands on experience required.

I've had the pleasure to have had the opportunity to work with some really good old school engineers. One was a guy who designed the hydraulic systems on railway grinders. He plotted every bend needed in the hydraulic hard line on plywood for reproduction purposes. He oversaw every step of the plumbing process, and personally tested the system for proper operation. Everything was hand written in ledger books, and kept at his desk on the shop floor.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 03-12-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by larrbeard View Post
    there are still some engineers with grease under their nails and busted knuckles who don't trust the computer. Be kind to us.

I have seen photographs of aircraft and vehicle drafting rooms, circa 1938 - 1941, with draftsmen making j-size drawings on linen with old india ink drafting pens. A j-size format is for all practical purposes full size for wing spars ..... .

I couldn't resist. Here is a real engineer's design tool kit.
    i really like that, love the vise grips.. My slide is white and i dug i out and actually need a new one due to some of the script/numbers are so worn as to not be able to read them (and there is no symbol for pi that i can find on keyboard) but mine is just gone on slide

I can not bad mouth all engineers. The biggest problem now is that these folks go to school, get a job sitting behind a computer designing parts without ever seeing the vehicle in person. No hands on experience required.

I've had the pleasure to have had the opportunity to work with some really good old school engineers. One was a guy who designed the hydraulic systems on railway grinders. He plotted every bend needed in the hydraulic hard line on plywood for reproduction purposes. He oversaw every step of the plumbing process, and personally tested the system for proper operation. Everything was hand written in ledger books, and kept at his desk on the shop floor.
    I have a very good frend that was a rotc guy at a engineering school in the east, and he selected submariner commission, at the time all officers had to be interviewed with Rickover himself, and from what i have been told and have no way to disprove or confirm he is a rather one sided rude individual (at least as told to me). And my friend Bill apparently pissed off Rickover as the admiral told my friend that the navy in effect his nuclear sub navy really did not need him. My friend Bill never one to back off anything simply said "Admiral you may not know this or may not agree with this but the US Navy needs me more than i need the Navy" as he was getting up to leave Rickover said simply "Your In" Bill stayed in and in fact spent more time on a diesel sub than anything else. After Navy went to work for IBM and created and designed many things and has over 50 patents.. Too bad he was not from Georgia Tech then he could have called himself a true rambling wreck. I knew Bill from my cruising days aboar Pelago my loved and sorely missed Pearson #@ Vanguard (Pelago Hull #177 32'6" and full keel cruiser.. Bill was and is today a fine engineer. I lived aboard Pelago for ten full years and cruised the entire carib, when diesel was $.16 a gallon had opportunity to buy a work boat 120' long full dive gear complete machine shop, good staterooms, two cumings diesels for power and two diesel generators. but as such as life is i did not do it, and this thing held 4000 gallons diesle, thought i could buy diesel in Vz and cruise as a mobile workshop and diesel station... oh well

flags.jpgPELAGO.JPG
    Last edited by pelago; 03-13-2019 at 05:16 AM.

I saw the picture of Pelago on QRZ.com; she was a beautiful boat.

By all accounts Rickover was indeed an opinionated dislikeable individual and your friend's story is one of the milder ones.

On Pelago, did you do celestial navigation or were you a LORAN navigator?

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    I saw the picture of Pelago on QRZ.com; she was a beautiful boat.

By all accounts Rickover was indeed an opinionated dislikeable individual and your friend's story is one of the milder ones.

On Pelago, did you do celestial navigation or were you a LORAN navigator?
    used a sextant, and shot lunar and sun and went to tables and used old fashioned math to obtain position but also had a good chart plotter, the chart plotter had a track display on it and one time went to bimini and the track on plotter went over south bimini island to anchorage, that is why it was so important the you navigaed and did not rely completely on electronics. never got lost, always hit the mark where and when i wanted to, yeah used plotter but always always did it old fashioned way, and had two chronometers aboard. and remember most charts of the caribbean are over 100 years old and can not be relied on as far as position is, that is where harbor entrance or sea buoy supposed to be, always timed my arrival for daytime so eyeballs were there missed a few times but hove to until sun up

station2.jpgelectricalpanel2004.jpg26sep 015.jpgdolphin.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 03-13-2019 at 07:36 AM.

Well, it sure is green, and that is the same turkey trot green stuff i remember
    PAINT3.jpgPAINT2.jpgPAINT3.jpgPAINT4.jpgPAINT1.jpg

Looking good!

looking good!
    put on five full coats, let flash dry and then went to starting point and did it again, thanks, now to not touch it for 24hours

NOW TO CEREMONIOUSLY BURN THE CLOTHES HAVE WORN DAMN NEAR DAILY FOR LAST THREE MONTHS, WEAR EM, WASH EM, WEAR AGAIN, THRU ALL THE MUD, THE BLOOD AND THE BEER, NOT TO MENTION AT LEAST A DOZEN WELD BURN HOLES
    Last edited by pelago; 03-14-2019 at 03:51 PM.

this has already been addressed but darn if i can find it.
    on the m38a1 i have i have a timing issue the dist is not able to twist enough to obtain correct timing were i able to go another 1/2" on it maybe the solution is to pull the oil pump and move one gear, darned if i can remember one click CCW or one click CW. gonna hate pulling that stinking pump but gotta do it, another gasket crapppppoooo

and then there is this
    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/ignitio...0-66-m38-m38a1

i have a perfectly good ignitions swithc, what i dont have is the little harness that goes between the big harness, coming off the voltage reg have a virtually great cable with all the right numbers on the tags and it goes to the ignition switch to route 24vdc but do not have that stinking little harness and not going to spend 115 dollars for a new switch, help

and this, am showing this photo as a example, i would change the Div patch to a simple Diamond, blue field, southern cross and 1 in center 1ST MARINE DIVISION, but everything else is pretty much as i remember, then the Corps went to the M151 piece of junk should have kept the M38A1

M38A1 USMC.JPG
    Last edited by pelago; 03-17-2019 at 06:35 AM.