Page 174 of 252 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Spare Gas Can

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    One more thing done.... Got to get the straps to hold it down now, backed up with spacers inside supports, found some tough nylon ones

Attachment 4731
    And you even put a unit identifier on it so the guy who steals it has to remark it!

That happens to this day. Units paint their number on mission equipment, and by the time we see it, there is several numbers painted over. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

yeah all things tac marked but gas cans seemed to just sort of walk off by themselves if memory serves me right, nostalgia time i was in 3/5

Teach Us ...

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    yeah all things tac marked but gas cans seemed to just sort of walk off by themselves if memory serves me right, nostalgia time i was in 3/5
    When I hear hear a Marine or Soldier say "I was in the Third of the Fifth (3/5)", what does that mean?

To us who identify as "USS Shasta, AE-6" or "USS Newport News, CA-148" - we're in the dark as to "3/5"

Third battalion of the fifth Marines, the Darkhorses.

A division of marinesmade up of regiments, 1st marine division had a regiment within its ranks called "fifth marine regiment" a regiment broken into battalions battalions into companies i was a member of the 3rd battalion, fifth marine regiment,avitar.jpg

Thanks for the lesson! So then each battalion has there own "Name" as in the Darkhorses? How was the name thought up? Do you have your own coat of arms, like an arm patch you would wear?

Sorry, this is good stuff. We might have to start a new category for the forum, "Willys live Military History". Solid resources for our history are hard to get. The military created our country.

I'm starting to understand - maybe.

You were Third battalion of the Fifth Marine Regiment, attached to the First Marine Division.

So, would an entire Regiment be stationed at the same base (Camp LeJeune for example) or would its Battalions be located at different locations?

It's hard for us Sailors to get our heads around this complicated stuff. We just had to find a big grey ship with the right number painted on it and we were home.

USUALLY THE ENTIRE REGT LOCATED AT ONE PLACE. WITH EXCEPTIONS. SOMETIMES ON SHIPS AS PART OF A MARINE EXPEDITIONARY UNIT ONE REINFORCED BATTALION WOULD GE PART OF THE EXPEDITIONARY FORCE. SOMETIMES REFERRED TO AS "MEU" MARINE EXPEDITIONARY UNIT. SOMETIMES IT WOULD BE MEB AS IN MARINE EXPEDITIONARY BRIGADE A MUCH LARGER UNIT It all depends on the requirement of the mission. I have been part of many reinforced units, sometimes even reinforced regts. in Vietnam it was a Marine Amphibious Force which had many regiments many... then multiple divisions also later on. I was part of the 9th meb (ninth marine expeditionary brigade) that landed march of '65 as the first ground combat units in country. that was when i learned the bad guys used green tracers opposed to our red ones

If memory serves, the dark horse designation was a radio call sign used in Korea. It went away, then was reinstated during the war on terror.