Page 209 of 252 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

It's not as bad as it seems. It is important for the life of the transfer case to get it right.

The Novak Guide here does a good job. https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledg...rebuild-guide/

I cut and pasted from there in the previous post. Go to the Output Shaft End Play section. The pictures of the way they measure will tell you a lot. The output bearing has to have a small amount of end play (in and out movement of the output shaft). The cap and the case have the shims between them so you can set the end play. The bearing race can move in and out of the cap and case. The shims harness the movement.

This video does show the procedure somewhat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l4my1S5kU8

If you need more I can scan the pages from my service manual for you. The Novak guide is pretty good. I do think the Jeep Universal Service Manual is a very good reference. For what you need to do, I think the Novak guide will help.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-29-2019 at 04:23 PM.

feeler gauge between case and housing. .004 went in .005 had to force it in and it really did not go, now i had to put bolts in cap to get it to stay, remember am upside down on this. snugged bolts, not 30lbs but enough to have free (gap) so to speak, .004 was it .004 + .010 = .014 so that is the shim needed, at this stage can not get to bearing would have to remove entire xfer case and am reluctant to do this. hopefully plan on using combined shims to .015 and install with gasket compound between each shim (ever so lkightly but full coat)

You shouldn't need to get to the bearing. Assemble it with no sealant on the shims then check the end play like they show in the Novack Guide. When you are confident there is more than .002" and less than .008" of end play, take it apart and put on a very thin coat of sealant. If you can get a spray can of Permatex High Tack it is a good way to insure a good even thin coat. You just shake up the spray can real good then lightly spray one side of the shims, the back of the cap and the case. What ever you use it needs to be very thin and light.

Another good video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OocQ6EtB00g

Go slow on the bolts a little at a time in a cross pattern. As you snug it up check the end play as you go. If it drops below .002" stop tightening and add more shims. Every time end play drops below .002" remember to bump the front output yoke with a good rap an a block of wood. This pushes the bearing back out so you can get another reading. .075" is a common start pack of shims. .014" seems like not enough. You never know however!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 11-29-2019 at 04:34 PM.

since it is on the jeep and all connected in order to get end play down where it has to be i will disconnect the front drive tmrw and then can work it back ad forth. liked the videos and have kept them on file, get spray tmrw and all my pieces and parts show up

Let me know how it goes , I'll be standing by.

TM9-8015-2: Power Train Body and Frame manual

The military manual (TM-8015-2) is posted on this site here.

https://willysjeepforum.kaiserwillys...ty-Truck-M38A1

uh oh

the manual and the video say the visible spring inside the seal goes towards the oil?? can not see spring in the seal

The lip goes towards the oil. The oil pushes against the lip pushing it down making a better seal. If it was lip out it would be too easy for the oil to leak out.

The lip goes towards the oil.

got it
    end play, in my archaic way of measuring and using a new steel 6" steel ruler and a scribe i measured 35th end play and did it many times over and went around multiple times and checked and have a 30th shim so will use only the one shim
    ???

I think you are saying that you will have .005" of end play. That's pretty good.