Page 154 of 252 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

#91 is ground for headlights. It comes out through the grommet on the headlight bucket and grounds to a lug on the back of the headlight bucket. It looks like a loose piece of wire that is not part of the harness and it could have wandered off sometime or another.

it wandered

Great White Pooh Cat...

i know, there will never be another moxie magoo, and i have to HAVE TO not try to make the new pup him

Critters

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    i have to HAVE TO not try to make the new pup him
    Critters tend to have enough of their own personality that:

A. They end up naming themselves, and;

B. They end up being pretty dern well whoever they want to be.

dont know whether or not this is true, but have been told that grief will manifest itself in different ways, I lost my middle son a few years ago due to a tragic auto accident and he was in fact at fault, lost my wife, and out of my platoon that landed only three of us left alive, when i lost magoo, i sort of really lost it. My daughter and three grandchildren 3000 miles away and oldest son getting a messy divorce and might lose his *** on the sale of the house....... dunno. but am actually getting back to work on the jeep. Think i might name the jeep Magoo

but have been told that grief will manifest itself in different ways, ... but am actually getting back to work on the jeep. Think i might name the jeep Magoo
    A. Grief will work on us in many ways. The classic "7-stages of grief" way oversimplify the process. I lost my father when I was 22 and it was almost 20 years later that I finally realized that I was still mad at him for up and dying on us and leaving us in the situation he did. Absolutely nothing rational about it. Just keep an eye open to make sure that whatever you do or decide is not grief making the decision for you.

B. "Magoo" - not a bad name for a Jeep.

C. Did the info help you figure out ground for the lights?

Greif does come out in different ways. I lost a son as a infant through his mother's carelessness. If it wasn't for work, and a war going on, it would have been a different story. You will be OK, but there will always be a hole in your heart left from the absence of your companions.
    We may not be blood relatives, but we are your family here. Let us know what we can do to help. LarrBeard has your wiring diagrams listed, so that should get you were you need to be.

headlights, marker lights, dimmer switch.
    two switches one supposed to be brand new
    original switch, Continuity from source pin (battery voltage) to #17 good #81 good
    power it up with pigtails, and ground is good, source voltage good. mechanical switch sounds like it is activating, but a meter on either output is no different no matter what positiion the dimmer switch is in there is source voltage on BOTH 17 and 81 17 also goes to indicator bulb on dash. can not work if source voltage always on 81 and 17'

continuity on cable good, double junction for 81, 17, and the market light
    lights new. however when i looked at them the wires just came loose, investigation found that although the correct solder to light itself good whoever the twit was that conneced the cable might have crimped it with 2 oz pressure, had to rebuild two brand new lights. pigtail check of both good and both good for numbers on the cable they match hi/low

NEW SWITCH

source boltage to correct pin zero voltage on 17 no matter what is done to switch
    voltage on 81 good and the switch turns it off but still no source voltage for hi beam???
    not a good day, but at least i got to see the headlights burn

and can return the new switch after i confirm it DON'T WORK

COUPLE HOURS LATER, I REPEATED ALL STEPS... same results

however i manually pigtailed the brake light plug. good brake lights, and then i put a meter on the switch itself and got the meter where i could see the needle Bingo, pressed brakes and got it, now to get the plug on the switch itself, maybe this is something i should have done before putting the body on.. oh well

EXPANDED WIRING.jpg
    Last edited by pelago; 04-27-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Dimmit Dammit Switch

Ira:

I’ll swap projects with you. I spent the morning with the neighbor trying to figure out why his “free” Craftsman Lawn Tractor won’t crank. We got it to crank with a jumper to the solenoid, but we think there are at least two defective interlock switches. One is definitely defective now – it came out in several smaller pieces. Of course – no schematic of any kind – just a Parts List harness diagram.

I am assuming that you have the old-style dimmer switch with the Douglas connectors, not the new-style with the Packard connectors. The pictures are for other folks to know what we're talking about.

In your last post you referred to wire # 81 – I believe that was a finger swap – you meant #18.

The dimmer is a single-pole, double throw switch. Power comes into the switch via wire # 16 from the ignition switch. If I have my connector genders correct – wire # 16 will connect to the pin (male) Douglas connector.

Your meter should show continuity from the pin connector on the switch to either the flying lead (which is wire # 17 – high beam) or the socket (female connector – low beam – wire # 18) on the switch.

Wire # 17 connects to a Douglas – Y connector; one wire going to the high beam light on the instrument panel, one wire going to the high beam headlights (another Douglas – Y somewhere else).

The flying lead should never show continuity to the female connector. If it does, bad switch. If the male connector doesn’t connect to either flying lead or the female connector – bad switch.

And, to make this even more confusing, since I’ve never had one of these in my hand – I might have the genders bass-ackwards…..
    Attached Images Attached Images

I GET ZERO CONTINUITY FROM INPUT TO 17 and 17 is hi beam, that fires up the hi beam indicator on dash
    do get continuity from input to 18,
    when switch activated 18 drops but 17 never there

More Dimmit Dammit

I GET ZERO CONTINUITY FROM INPUT TO 17 and 17 is hi beam, that fires up the hi beam indicator on dash
    do get continuity from input to 18, when switch activated 18 drops but 17 never there
    A. I GET ZERO CONTINUITY FROM INPUT TO 17 - I am assuming that you are telling me that the input (#16) to High Beam (#17) is open. If we're counting connectors properly - that says bad switch. #17 drives high beam light on instrument cluster and high beam headlights as well.

B. "... when switch activated 18 drops... ". If that means continuity - I'm thinking that's what it should be.

And - if I misunderstand and ZERO CONTINUITY means connected and "drops" means open - still a bad switch.

It's all still pointing to a bad switch ...

Is this a new switch or a used one?