Page 103 of 252 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

It will work fine for the application. The short end will be a a couple inches shorter, but will still work.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    It will work fine for the application. The short end will be a a couple inches shorter, but will still work.
    aint cheap $70.00 us dollars

No it isn't. I had gotten a hold of a couple of pieces of chanel that was the same size height and width. I made most of the support pieces by heating and tacking to a table. Probably didn't have $50 in both pieces.

not far from my house is a steel place and they sell all kinds of stuff. might be worth a day to go down there and take some crap pieces and just see. am sure that there will be more to do. But good news was able to rough fit in the new wheel well, and its gonna work, lot of the holes that had welded on nuts are not there but wth, can figure that out later.. and since i was rough fitting the thing in for sure this is not a one person deal to get the thing in. But am getting the hull ready to sandblast to white and want all the preliminary stuff done, that is all the crap removed and ready for new pieces, but sand blast before weld. that is the plan anyway

DAMN, DAMN DAMN. Kaiser just called that bracket no longer available will have to go to machine shop or fabricator to have made

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    On the A1 we had, it was three layers of olive. The motor pool would just slap another layer on top of the other. Red was most likely was for a fire department after being discharged from service. The yellow was likely Civil Defense after the fire department used it. Black was probably the first civilian owner for who knows what reason. The nylon brushes I use are good for eating off one layer of paint if careful. You might be able to get the i.d. number or bumper number. It would be interesting to see if the fire department name was painted on the hood. Then you could contact the department. They keep really good records on their equipment, plus might have photos of your Jeep while in service. Too bad the government keeps crap for records. To this day, we have no idea on what has been done out in the field.

I'll get a picture of the copper chunk I'm going to send your way. Private message me your address, and I'll get it out to you this week.
    got it and thanks again

No problem at all. That one should do alright for you.

did not want to do it, but the other hull i have had a bracket in it and 20lbs of bondo on the fender? cut it out and have one that is serviceable, will get it sandblasted and primed, got two small rust holes in it but feel i can cover those up

You have to do what you have to do. It's tough to scavenge parts from an otherwise serviceable hull. I was proud to have two hulls that were too far gone in different places. The yeild was almost all the sheet metal that was needed, sans the passenger floor, tool box front, and the fuel tank well. Everything else was either original tin or cold rolled stock.

there was a comment about the rear seat mounts, as long as i match up mounts distance with from same points will be okay?? one came out when i destroyed the inside wheel well but have it and got to remove the spot welds (oh joy) from the scrap MAN I WISH I KNEW WHAT I WAS DOING AM MAKING THIS UP AS I GO ALONG. MECHANICAL PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD BUT BODY WORK......................My neighbor gave me a box of body hammers, (too bad he did not give me the experience and knowledge as to how to use them) but i have fumbled around a bit and actually worked out some dents and ripples left over from drilling out welds and old dents (well to be honest made them look better anyway), one thing i really want to do is have a flat fender wall without ripples and that might take a expert body shop to do that
    Last edited by pelago; 11-27-2018 at 02:28 PM.