Page 125 of 252 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

It will not be too hard to section in new metal on the windshield frame. The hinges can be fabricated as well. I'll look around and see if some of the other sources I use has any at a cheaper price. Do you have the glass for the windshield?

"Do you have the glass for the windshield? " more or less, kinda rough, wonder what would happen take them go a glass cutter/supply house?
    Last edited by pelago; 02-02-2019 at 09:20 PM.

I have found some windhields on ebay, and they claim they are for the m38a1, but are they? or are they for the cj? and will they allow for split windshield?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/202321520341

The windshield for the A1 and the early CJ are the same. The first A1 windshields through '55 CJ had a two piece windshield that would pop out like the early Willys. Those frames are hard to come by. The glass can be cut by your local glass cutters. I don't think that there is any curvature to the glass, so it won't be a problem..... I have been wrong before. I thought my wagon windshield was flat, until I pulled it out.

NEW TAIL SECTION1.jpgNEW TAIL SIECTION2.jpg

damn damn. double damn. I was so carefull welding the floor section in, i checked the one hull that still had rusted tailgate section in and measured measured, checked, measured then welded the entire floor section to the rear wheel wells. putting the new tailgate section in i find that the four braces on the inside of the tailgate just do not fit they are 1" too high, damn thing just does not fit. but have to use it.
    only solution is to grind down the welds, remove then along the entire floor section that meets new tail section and leave it loose and put in tail section to have it meet both sides and the floor..............................can only say damn, (well can say a whole lot more but all that would come out are @%$#X#$%^&*^%#@@!. if you know what i mean)
    Last edited by pelago; 02-04-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Measure the length of the four braces and compare them to the ones on the rusted gate. Make sure that the new braces aren't an inch too short. You don't want to cut your floor loose, then later find out that the floor slopes to the front trying to match the short braces. If the braces check out to be the correct length, then check to make sure your floor is level and square to the sides. I use several angle finders when putting my projects together. The angle finders have a magnetic base that will mount directly on the metal. I would place one on top of the wheel house, then one on the floor panel. When they both read the same, then you are spot on. This will help you if your body isn't exactly level. I have six of these, and I like to run them going fore and aft, port and starboard. They will let you know if you are getting out of plumb in a hurry. In the picture, I have two on top of the windshield base/ cowl to let me know when the cowl was in the correct position to install the braces to keep everything in position, in order to mount the driver's side floor panel. There was two more that were on the verticle surface of the dash panel to ensure that the cowl was correct on 4 plains.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...q=angle+finder
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 02-04-2019 at 01:29 PM.

" ... I use several angle finders ... "

Angle finders are one of those tools that you think you don't need but once you have one or two or several - you find yourself using them in places you'd never suspect.

You can even show the wife that the picture really IS level - as if 0-degrees up and down really would convince her.

I have a couple of Starrett angle finders from back when I was a single guy buying great tools. I have compared the $4 finders to the higher dollar finders, and the only thing that isn't the same quality is the glue that secures the magnet. No big deal, gorilla glue fixed that.

If I let the long suffering Misses hang a picture, there would be a hammer head size hole in the drywall, then the picture would still be crooked. I fix pictures for being crooked at the monster in law's house, whenever I go over there.

Checking in on you to see how things are going?

Am so involved in this damn tailgate section, going so so so slow cuz only want to do this once. But am making progress. But have no hole for trailer hook up, hope i can find a right size metal hold cutter