Page 7 of 252 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

YOUR SHERWIN WILLIAMS HELL OF A LOT BETTER THAN MINE!!! GUY AT COUNTER SAID "OH WE CANT GET THAT" NEVER TOUCHED COMPUTER. guess he was just not interested in customer service

Well fooey on them and their horse...

Try this: https://www.ppgpaints.com/painting-s...al-maintenance

i called them, no heat resistant paint. called almost every paint manufacturer that i could locate, went to some paint stores, went to every machine shop that actually build engines, NO SUCH PAINT AVAILABLE, I remember that John Deere used green paint since it conception and so did Bucyrus Erie (that name will get some) all of their huge machines were olive drab green. Monday i will go to a John deer dealer and see what is what. Now there are hi temp grill paints good to 1300 degrees highest engine paint i could find was 650 degrees. some suggested paint it black with the hi temp grill paint and paint over with green??? still a work in progressjohn deere paint.jpg

this is a quart of green john deere engine paint JUST FIRED OFF A EMAIL TO THEIR CUST SERVICE/TECH DEPT
    Last edited by pelago; 07-30-2017 at 03:05 PM.

You can find John Deere Green at a lot of Tractor Supply. TSC and the rural supply stores. JD Green is bright, but once you get a quart, the local Ace or True Value hardware might cut some black pigment into it to dull it towards OD.

That is what i was thinking be black huh? i know the owners of ace hdw down street might get lucky.. SOMEHOW I AM GONNA FIGURE THIS OUT......remember Bucyrus Erie, they made huge machines for industry huge lathes and milling machines, they had a dull green paint also

As previously reported been working on the motor, and cleaning it up to paint,, have not found olive drab engine paint yet,(may never find it) but did find something that really surprised me. while browsing at Lowes i noticed this product
    http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/s_t...izer-Spray.htm
    just for the heck of it i bought a can, because the humidity was creating surface rust on the clean engine, i tried it and damn if it didn't work. i was really amazed at the results.. went back and got two more cans

getting ready to paint the motor, spending a lot of time on the undersides. and the whole transmission and transfer case. have paint remover on the transmission/xfer case, second time for paint remover. got a driveway full of black paint first time, now letting it set and trying to get the rest of it. interesting that the paint remover does not touch the coating on the bell housing. dull green, and the strong remover does nothing to it. but the paint on the other parts is different story. wonder if the paint on bell housing might have been baked on????getting ready to paint.jpg once finished with remover, will wire brush the whole thing and then spray the rust remover on, let it do its thing, wash it then paint ittransmission.jpg quite possibly this transmission saw some navy time,,,,, see the navy grey?
    Last edited by pelago; 08-05-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Well, it aint olive drab, but i talked to some motor t guys at lejeune, they just dojnt paint engines, what ever company color is that is it, the big caterpiller engines are yellow and they stay that. only people that repaint is depot rebuild in albany gaengine painted.jpg

I have two areas on the frame that bother me, probably would never be a problem but i know that they are there. so am gonna fix them. got a welder and going to practice some on some scraps then cut out bad area and replace with new steel, clean themFRAMERE[AIR.jpg up and paint themframerepair2.jpg if i am not able to do a quality job i know someone that can

update on welding. Not satisfactory, just can not see, think it was (hope) the worn out helmet, could not see well enough to follow the seam between two pieces of steel? would go off on a tangent, also was thinking i was advancing but in reality was in same spot. not happy at all with results. picked up a new helmet this afternoon and tomorrow another day