Page 249 of 252 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,490 of 2512

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

Glad to see and read about all the good stuff. I knew a saddle guy. Had them all the way back to the beginning in two barns. I would bet you know which one of those to drag along in every situation! Runs on gasoline. Like really old guys!

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Glad to see and read about all the good stuff. I knew a saddle guy. Had them all the way back to the beginning in two barns. I would bet you know which one of those to drag along in every situation! Runs on gasoline. Like really old guys!
    i was a buck sgt in Marines at the time and married, caught holy hell when i spent the money, few years ago she wanted to sell the colt!! said for all the grief you gave me then Hell am gonna be buried with it, cocked ready to shoot some sob that tries to get if from cold dead hands
    It is truly a treasure, unfired first gen smokeless powder colt saa, got several of them and this is my prize. got my great grandads 1851 navy colt also, carried at battle of Chicamagua and Missionary ridge, he captured it at Stones River. got several of his pistols, all those in photo with exception of one i real colt.... Got a box of 38 40 but darned, want to shoot it but never had a round thru it. probaby kill the value with a round thru it

On man oh man! Those Colts! I have always loved the SA Colt Army, what a nice set of Colts man.

I can look at the picture of that stove and go right back 50 years with my Dad. Way north in Canada, fishing for the elusive "Whitefish". Every morning you would come out of the tent and that smell of the food cooking on that stove.. Awesome stuff man. White gas in that thing right? You pump it up and build some pressure in the tank and fire it up? Man my dad would sling up some corned beef and hash and some bacon and hash browns, oh man. Classic coffee pot Ira! You are actually "livin' the dream"!

How can i measure vacuum without spending money on something i will probably ony use one time. Being told i need 20inches of vaccum

Under no load and high idle over 1500 rpm, you should easily have 20 inches. If your holding the RPM up around 1500 and the wipers aren't working, somethings up. I think you should have plenty of vacuum to run them. You have a good running engine. I am sure it has sufficient vacuum. In addition the military fuel pump has an auxiliary vacuum pump, running on top of the engine vacuum. When you pull the hose off at the wiper with the motor running can you feel good vacuum? Mine tugs on your finger tip fairly well. If you cant feel good vacuum at the wiper, something is amiss.

Mine tugs on your finger tip fairly well.
    yES, AND THE THING STAYS ON FINGER ALL BY ITSELF, AND BOTH MOTORS ARE RESISTANT TO MOVE. ONE MOTOR GOES ONE WAY, THEN STOPS AND WILL NOT RETURN THE OTHER DIRECTION

I bought a NOS military surplus wiper motor. It was still all wrapped up in wax paper and looked pretty well preserved. It did the same as you describe. It started to go if I pushed on it, then it was slow and would not return again ever. I got a hold of the guy Geoff and Larry recommended. https://rebuildingtricowipers.com/ He said the vacuum wiper motors need to be operated "frequently" to keep them alive and never squirt anything into them. An interesting comment since I have read on the internet and in some re-published document, that you should squirt something in them. Anyway, I know my military surplus looked like it hadn't been "frequented" for about 70+ years. I ordered a NOS from him that he "goes through" and tests out ($$$.$$). He said he only had drivers side motors left, and no parts to rebuild them any more.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-06-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Those battles in the days when folks stepped into it and nary a one stayed silent or stepped lightly, in that particular fight for our motherland, respects to our first neighbors here long before us. I guarantee nothing manufactured in 2020 will be so valued or valuable, nor should be, 150 years hence, when the story of our time is told, as those old priceless armaments. My respect for the history held in those barrels, I guess they might bark it out if asked, makes the marrow in my bones sing deep and patriotic hymns! We once fought for unity, against all comers, winning it. Those coffee mornings with dad and some right tasty eggs the fruits of the victory earned by generations who were up for the fight to preserve a more perfect union, where all felt inalienable rights are worth protecting, especially keeping your brothers free at the cost of your own breath because Americans. And I'm glad you are showing the way with this motorized contraption to wash windscreens! That's ahead for my '64. Vacuum, man, it just ain't there when you need it..

03's.jpg super match and standard 002.jpg 1903A3 Sporter 003.jpg
    My grand dad used the 03 WWI, I used the m14 (until they intoed the m16)
    years ago i bought a 03 that someone had clumsily tried to sporterize it. barrel was in great shape but all wood wa crap. new stock, bedded it, pput on winchester style safety, old weaver 6 power, timney trigger, man does it shoot those old remington barrel were hot, gave it to my son. built up a 1916 K98 an turned it into a sporter and gave that to oldest grandson, it shoots great shilen barrel, weaver K6, timney trigger, bedded it and also put on winchester style safety. am building a 3rd one for other grandson 1916 small ring model 98, shillen barrel for swede mauser 6.5, bedded and lot of stock work, it goes to him this summer. weapons of war now for peaceful use

6.5 SWEDE ON SMALL RING MAUSER.jpg

Pelago,

Your gunsmithing skills are top notch. Your rifles are museum quality pieces of art, and will be cherished for generations of your family.

I made a vacuum gage years ago for charging A/C systems in heavy equipment. It consisted of a sheet of plywood and some clear plastic tubing. The tubing was mounted to the board in a big U shape and then filled half way with colored water. You put a vacuum pump on the A/C system, with the tubing in line to the low side. The board was graduated in inches, so when you pulled a vacuum and held it, you could determine if you had a leak. Now a days, they have fancy machines that do it all for you. The same can be done for checking engine vacuum, but you must ensure that you have enough head space to prevent the water from getting ingested in the intake. The finger method works just as well for this purpose.