Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 134f total rebuild

134f total rebuild

When i started my m38a1 restoration project i had in fact wo engines , one with unknown use or mileage and one with reported 15k on speedometer, and was told it had in fact been rebuilt, just sat for long time. Well, long story short i used that in the running m38a1, and one of the reasons was i could see a corner of head gasket, and it was not old original style but new one. Consequently i have a spare motor. Have decided to use local machine shop, one reason for this is they helped me rebuild a little kubota diesel and it is still going strong today
    Have decided to do a total rebuild

rebuild6.jpg rebuild7.jpg rebuild12.jpg PISTON1.jpg ROD BEARING2.jpg

received call yesterday, the head is finished, looking good, and will deliver the bare block to them also

Machine shop has the block, and i was able to pull up all the readings and specs for block, cyl, and crank, hoping that will NOT need new pistons, owner of shop felt crank only needed polish, but he has the specs and i can get quite a variety of rings and bearings...
    The head looks great, got it wrapped in a towel with light coat of oil
    head1.jpghead2.jpg

Don't forget that there is a head bolt under the carburetor throat. It's a little short one. If you leave it out, the engine will almost run, for a little while. Really bad JuJu.

Looking great! It never hurts to have a spare power plant.

Looks like one cylinder got a little water in it but other than that I think you got material to work with.

Definitely a good core for a rebuild. I am pretty sure your gonna need pistons. A good fit with the rings pistons and cylinders, is the key to a great running motor, for a long duration. Your going to love that rebuild. How are you going to stop yourself from putting it in right away!?
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-24-2020 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    definitely a good core for a rebuild. I am pretty sure your gonna need pistons. A good fit with the rings pistons and cylinders, is the key to a great running motor, for a long duration. Your going to love that rebuild. How are you going to stop yourself from putting it in right away!?
    pistons?? All depends on what the micrometer says?? Put it in just dont know??

brings up a question. when do you decide to scrap pistons?? i am hoping to use 10thousan over rings
    Last edited by pelago; 02-24-2020 at 01:33 PM.

You reuse the piston (if it is in good shape) if it is within the specification of fit for the bore to cylinder, and the ring lands are not worn. In general in our f & L 134's if the bore is .009" larger than the piston, the cylinder should be increased to the next standered oversize. This would be the over bore size it takes to remove all imperfections and taper. The cylinder only wears at the very top. The first half inch is where the wear occurs (from the pressure of combustion). It is not uncommon to see no wear at the bottom of the cylinder. If you bore more than .040" you should have the block checked for thickness. From the looks of the bores it appears it has some miles on it as well as a good deal of rust in the bores. After the block is cleaned the machinist will check it over with some precision bore measuring gauges. He will let you know what you need to do. If you don't see any visible damage in the cylinders and there is just rust, I would bet .010" oversize pistons and rings, and a bore and hone will have that baby "hummin".

All said it is very good practice to re bore, hone and fit the pistons and rings perfectly. This is the place to spend your time and money if you want a really sweet running motor for a long time.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 02-26-2020 at 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Don't forget that there is a head bolt under the carburetor throat. It's a little short one. If you leave it out, the engine will almost run, for a little while. Really bad JuJu.
    Is this one of those engineering wonders? As, why in the heck did they do this? That would be one of those "Gotch ya" moments for sure lol.

For sure an F134 secret Larry passed along there!