Page 1 of 252 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

well, the darn thing is out

1947 WILLYS and each and every bolt was covered and locked up with 70yr old rustAttachment 1180[ATTACH=CONFIG]1180[]
    plan is to get to frame, sand blast paint and do frame up restoration
    was pleasantly surprised to take vlve cover off and find it pretty clean

Let The ADventure Begin! Ad

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    1947 WILLYS and each and every bolt was covered and locked up with 70yr old rustAttachment 1180[ATTACH=CONFIG]1180[]
    plan is to get to frame, sand blast paint and do frame up restoration
    was pleasantly surprised to take vlve cover off and find it pretty clean
    OK - here is your first surprise. You probably already know that:

A. Someone has swapped the engine in that 'lil beast, or

B. It ain't a 1947. The F-head engine was an 1951 - 1952 engine.

Good luck and keep us informed, especially about the "oh-by-the-ways". That"s how we learn.

I wondered, about that but i am not even sure it is a '47 am a new guy on this100_0988.jpg i actually have two of them and the one on the right has a willys plate on it someone did a crummy job converting it to a 12vdc. just built a cart to sit the engine on, it is on castors and high enough that the pan is protected.. one on the left IMO has a better frame, could be wrong there also, but need to get this one down to frame and sand blast

Probably Not '47

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    I wondered, about that but i am not even sure it is a '47 am a new guy on this100_0988.jpg i actually have two of them and the one on the right has a willys plate on it someone did a crummy job converting it to a 12vdc. just built a cart to sit the engine on, it is on castors and high enough that the pan is protected.. one on the left IMO has a better frame, could be wrong there also, but need to get this one down to frame and sand blast
    I'm not an authority on the "little Jeeps". I do old trucks. But, a quick Google of CJ-5 gives a lot of pictures of CJ-5's and a Wikipedia look at CJ-5's make me believe that both of your hulks are either CJ-5's or some military variant (?maybe) of that model. The rounded hood is a real clue. This makes them later than '47.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_CJ#CJ-5

Earliest it could be is about '54, but could be later by far. That would explain the F-head 134 though.....

The F-134 could be as late as 1972 .... .

ONE OF THEM HAVE SOME USMC tag marks on them (left Jeep) I remember driving a M38A1 in vietnam iin fact i drove one into the china sea, once!! but they all looked like this,M38A1 USMC.JPG

the tac marks were on the hood and it has been sandblasted and primered I was told that the M38A1 was in fact in service from 47 to 71

i built a simple castor cart, to just store the engine,,,, to use a engine work type mount it would cost about 100.00 for a good one and the one i have is built out of scrap... now can roll it around and put it in garage to keep rain off of it.... but interesting note about picture is... SINCE WORKING SOLO THE TRANSMISSION WAS RELUCTANT TO GO IN... HOOKED UP A COME ALONG AND RATCHETED IT IN100_0999.jpg

Just had the thing pressure/steam washed and got down to the base color sort of a 1940's green, like on a old tractor. like a old machine built by BUCYRUS/ERIE maybe even international harvestor

The Willys M38A1 or (MD) was built from 1952 until 1957 for the U.S. military forces and from 1958 until 1971 for export to foreign governments. The United States Marine Corps continued to order and use the M38A1 until 1971. The Marine version had minor differences from the units used by other branches. The production information available for these vehicles suggests a much more limited production run. The M38A1 was so well liked, they introduced the CJ-5 in 1955 based on its design.
    Drive Train The M38A1 used the "Hurricane" F-Head 134 I4 engine, T-90 3 speed transmission, Dana 18 transfer case, either the Dana 25 or the Dana 27 front axle, and Dana 44 rear axle.

STEERING COLUMN!!

My limited exp with these things makes me ask what might be a dumb question. since i have two "hulks" am preparing to use pieces and parts from both to make one.
    i have selected what i believe to be the best frame and what i believe is the body that needs less repair, unfortunately have to remove both bodies and swap.
    STEERING SYSTEM to remove the steering column or to remove it all as one piece?. would it be better to remove the entire mechanical system and leave the actual column attached and remove up thru hole in the floor?? or remove the steering column (HERE IS THE RUB I ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW TO REMOVE IT) AND TAKE IT ALL OUT IN PIECES.

I Googled "Remove steering from M38A1" and found more than I wanted to look through. I'd suggest you look through these topics and you'll find a lot of info you need.

And, here is something you absolutely MUST buy - the M38A1 Service Manual. It will save you more time and trouble than you can imagine!!!

http://www.kaiserwillys.com/mechanic...ts-52-66-m38a1

This is really a "Don't start the job without it" item.