Page 5 of 252 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: well, the darn thing is out

i am hoping to use many of the original fasteners, after tumbling them. 90% seem fine, good threads and damn if they dont (some) look new. difference in steel from 1952 to now?? but since i have collected bolts, nuts and screws from two vehicles might get lucky. my last act was to tumble the whole mess with oil, and they are stored in a box, covered.. The tub that i am going to save has many projects on it, but seems as if most can be repaired/replaced from Kaiser.

I'm enjoying watching your progress. It's really coming along. I bought a $100 welder from Harbor Freight and surprisingly it's not a bad little welder. I've never welded before but have been practicing and hopefully I will get good enough to do minor welding on the body panels myself.

really am so tempted to do that, but have not welded (arc) since high school fifty years ago.... got lots of small welds to do

here is a question best answered by someone who has been there and done that. Now that i have the tub off the '52 willys M38A1 I can identify all the repair spots. here is a picture of the passenger side rear wheel well, as you can see i need to repair the entire inside of the wheel well. once the back deck is removed there is no way a new one can be welded to the the body, hence a 3" X whatever length needed. has to be replaced. I can get a 4X8 sheet of cold rolled 20g steel for 38.00 and i can cut off all of the pieces (flat) that i will need. Now the question, weld/repair all rusted spots, install new kaiser pieces, then have the whole kit and kaboodle sand blasted..... or get the tub as it is sand blasted then replace/repair after quck coat of primer????Attachment 1515 I am pretty sure the other wheel well looks the same but since tub is on its side now not sure, but probably is same

passenger side rear wheelwell.jpgnot sure if photo came up so here it is again

Never an absolute answer, but on the '48 we sandblasted first, primed and then did metal work. Once its clean you can see exactly what needs to be done. Until its clean, you can't be exactly sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    really am so tempted to do that, but have not welded (arc) since high school fifty years ago.... got lots of small welds to do
    I hadn't welded since the 60's but the shops were killing me on small jobs so I bought
    a wire welder and after about 10 minutes of practice it looked great
    The welder paid for itself that day

Gonna have to go downthere and take a look

SANDBLAST3.jpgSANDBLAS2.jpgDANDBLAST1.jpg,
    PROGRESS PROGRESS PROGRESS. Sandblasted frame, back in garage, first coat of primer on!!!!! will let it sit overnight and hit it agtain
    Last edited by pelago; 07-07-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Looks good! It doesn't look like there are any surprises once you got down to bare steel.